Thread: HGTV - new show Off The Grid

HGTV - new show Off The Grid

I was a little surprised to see a new show on HGTV, "Off the Grid" which features first world couples or families who move to 2nd or 3rd world countries and live in remote areas. For some the motive is adventure, others want to escape the rat race, others just want to live cheaply.

Just watched an episode where a young family moves from Australia to Bhutan. Rent on their primitive little house? $60/month.

Guess I never thought HGTV would feature shows like this when almost every other show on that channel is subtly or not so subtly advising you to upgrade your living space constantly.

Wow, that sounds great! I love (well, love/hate) HGTV, so I'll definitely check that out.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

How does one even get to move to Bhutan? Isn't that the place that tightly controls the number of tourists who go through there?

Sounds like a good show. You don't need much money if your rent is only $60. a month...

I followed the blog of a family in a small house, I think it was 320 sq ft. They did that for several years so that they could save up to move back to Panama where they had served as missionaries. She posted photos of the house they rented in Panama and it was $100 a month. She was going to post renovations of it but then kind of dropped off the blogging world. I don't get HGTV but would really like to see that.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information