Thread: Re-caulking tub.......I was naive

Re-caulking tub.......I was naive

I have a 6' tub/shower. I noticed that the caulking around it was getting loose. I thought I could just easily pull up the old caulking (that was the naive part) and put down new caulk. Well, I need more tools and more time. So...........I had loosened the bottom of the silicone caulk and tried to pull out some small areas (1/2" here and there). But now I realize this is a bigger job than I'm prepared for. But I still want to use the shower. Any ideas what I could use as a temporary fix, so no water goes behind the tub/wall marble? I feel really stupid. I don't think tape of any kind would hold.........but maybe it would just for the length of a quick shower?

And now I've read that you should fill your tub before putting on new caulk. I guess that means you have to have your lower legs in water the whole time you're working on it??
    Hmmm.......Maybe I'll call a professional "caulker"?

Any stop gap measures you can think of so I can continue to shower without fixing this just yet?

Could you tape up plastic - the kind you can buy on a roll at HD to use for dropcloths?

Duct tape? How about the newer gorilla tape? There is also some plastic wrap sealer stuff, like saran wrap Not sure how water tight it would be but should hold for one or two showers.

As a temporary fix could you put a cheap shower certain all around like they did on the old claw foot tubs and showers? I have also seen a stick on seal about 2 inches wide at hardware stores in the tub section, don't know how good they are as I haven't used them.

There are commercial chemicals designed to soften caulk to be removed that you can get at the big box stores. I have used them and they work fairly good and was able to fairly easy to remove the caulk with a screw driver and razor after they are sprayed on.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Thanks everyone.
    I think I had too much caffeine right before I prematurely/uninformedly dove into this project. haha

The shower curtain is a good idea, since I do have an extra rod and liner.....until I can get more motivated.

I just saw on a You Tube video that this guy used a hair dryer to soften the caulk and easily remove in 1' sections. This is cultured marble, and I don't know if certain chemicals might hurt it.??

I guess the moral of the story is don't start any complicated project until the caffeine has worn off............but then you won't want to do it. haha

Thread Information