Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Determining the need for a Master's

Quote Originally Posted by screamingflea View Post
    Pinkytoe, this is really what I'd love to learn. Do you know of any particular degree or certification for this work?
    I'm not Pinkytoe, but I think I can clarify. I think that would require a masters in social work. In a rural area, you could probably do it with a bachelors in social work.

A bachelors in social work or psychology can prepare someone for entry level clinical work as a supportive or paraprofessional counselor. They are not licensed to do psychotherapy.

A masters in counseling, social work, or psychology will allow someone to continue that work at a higher, but still not professional level. A masters in social work also prepares someone for administrative work, or work with communities, families, individuals, and agencies. A masters in counseling prepares someone to work with individuals and families.

Someone with a masters in social work or counseling can also accumulate hours toward licensure. Once licensed, they are considered professionals and can practice psychotherapy. They can bill insurance companies for their services and practice independently or in an agency. They are called Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists or Licensed Clinical Social Workers.

If you have a masters in psychology, you cannot practice professionally or independently. You must have a doctorate in psychology and get licensed for that. Doctoral programs in psychology will accept someone with a masters in psychology or an LCSW. Once you have a doctorate, you can either practice, or do research.

Of the three, only the masters in social work allows you to do all of the following: get licensed without a doctorate, do administrative work, and apply for admisison to a doctoral program in psychology.

If you are interested in research, psychology is the way to go. If you are interested in clinical work, counseling is the way to go. If you want options to do research, clinical work, or administrative work, go with social work.

Lots of good thoughts here. Definitely check out licenseure process for all related degrees and also which credentials insurance particularly likes in your state. I would definitely consider working the mental health field, even just in a tangential role to see what it is like.

I have a Masters in Mental Health Counseling and honestly, I am not sure if I will ever truly use it. At the time I started, I really needed to explore something different and I loooved my coursework and experiences in the program. I enjoyed my internship experience but learned the community mental health system here does not have the quality of life I need from a job. The pay is low and the workload is brutal. It may not be like this in your state but here therapists (social workers and counselors) working my for my local community mental health agency start at about $30,000/yr. Of course after achieving liscensure it is higher, and then as you get more experience you can work in better paying avenues.

If liscensure is something you know you want to attain, also look into the costs of that. Many employers do not pay for supervision (some do) and that can run up to $100/hour and you will typically need 4 hours a month. I am considering taking advanced coursework towards liscensure since I get free classes and I would one day actually like to be able to use my degree, but I am enjoying my break from school right now. I would also highly consider finding a part time job on a college campus where you could take free or reduced cost classes. Looking back, I am very glad I have no debt related to this degree.

Thread Information