Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washing Machines: Top Load Vs. Front Load?

We decided to get a top loader model when we moved into this house. I had used my friend's front loader before. The only way I could reach the back of the front loader washer was to kneel down in front of the washer, and reach back--to the far back where all the wet clothes seemed to land. Kneeling is painful, so this was not a good choice. Ergo, top loader for us.
    Mrs. Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Hermit View Post
    We decided to get a top loader model when we moved into this house. I had used my friend's front loader before. The only way I could reach the back of the front loader washer was to kneel down in front of the washer, and reach back--to the far back where all the wet clothes seemed to land. Kneeling is painful, so this was not a good choice. Ergo, top loader for us.
    Good points for me to consider so thanks.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Geila
    I decided to go with a basic Whirlpool top loading washer that has excellent reviews from users. I went to the laundromat today to wash two loads and I used the front loader to see how it works. It does use a lot less water and I can imagine that clothing comes out cleaner too - the method is quite efficient. And they also appear to wash larger loads - I used a huge Maytag commercial washer but I can see how it would work. Since we only do 1-2 loads of wash per week, I don't think the efficiency will outweigh the benefit of using the tried & true simplicity of the top loader and the hassle of having to bend or kneel down for the wash. When I have a load that needs extra cleaning I just do the wash cycle twice and that works well. This new washer has a soak cycle and that should also work just as well.

Also, we have an old house and have the laundry in the garage, so the vents and water lines are set for the traditional appliances and would need to be modified for the front loaders due to height issues.

Still debating on the dryer.

I really appreciate everyone's honest responses.

Geila
    I just ran across a post on this same subject! I don't even remember what I was looking for when I saw it, but it has reaffirmed my decision to go top load. The reader responses are really eye-opening.

http://www.creatingreallyawesomefree...or-top-loader/

I had to buy a new set it'll be two years in September. I went with Maytag Centennial top loader. I just couldn't get over the fact that you can't rush back in and toss one more item into the washer once a front loader is going. I've been happy with my choice. The mayor of the town where our Lowes is located happens to work there as an appliance salesman. He gave us lots of pros and cons to front and top as well as different brands within my price range.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

My Kenmore top-loader is 27 years old; I'm hoping it wi'll hang on a few years longer. I had decided against front loaders before I read the link above, and I'm more convinced than ever. I'm really peeved to learn that I'll have to accept lid locks and such foolishness when I'm ready to buy again. I just want plain, no frills equipment with few "features" that can fail. I conserve water by only washing once a week or so, doing a full load, and never watering my lawn, so I can take lengthy showers and run water when I'm hand-washing dishes. Our water cycle is healthy; if dry states want to impose draconian measures to conserve water, it's fine with me, but I want toilets that flush and shower heads that deliver the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My Kenmore top-loader is 27 years old; I'm hoping it will hang on a few years longer. I had decided against front loaders before I read the link above, and I'm more convinced than ever. I'm really peeved to learn that I'll have to accept lid locks and such foolishness when I'm ready to buy again. I just want plain, no frills equipment with few "features" that can fail. I conserve water by only washing once a week or so, doing a full load, and never watering my lawn, so I can take lengthy showers and run water when I'm hand-washing dishes. Our water cycle is healthy; if dry states want to impose draconian measures to conserve water, it's fine with me, but I want toilets that flush and shower heads that deliver the goods.
    You may remember my post from last December (haha why should you!) but my friend, our age, bought a Speed Queen machine. It's the last of them without all of the stupid saftely locks. Her tale almost made me run out and buy a Speed Queen to keep in my basement as a backup for when our washing machine goes out.

Yes, I hate "features" especially the "sensing" features. I want to tell the machine what to do, I don't want it thinking on it's own because it makes poor decision, it is a dumb machine after all.

I do hate the locking lid but just have to hold the button till it unlocks. I do like that it is self balancing.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

ONE NEGATIVE TO THE PEDESTALS, that isn't always thought of when buying them, is your going to have to do some construction. I saved my brother hassle, by looking over his house when he had it built (we did phone/network and cable wireing), because he bought a new set and the pedestals for them. As a taller person, he didn't want to bend down and has a preference for the front loaders due to lower water and detergent use, as well as bad memories of standing up into cabinets, above a top loader.
    What I pointed out was his dryer exhaust was set up for them to be at floor level. (where is yours?)
    The pedestals seem expensive for storage cabinets. My b-i-l isn't handy, so I long ago, sent my sister this site and one project she liked (still won't do until hers dies) is this: http://ana-white.com/2011/01/sausha%...ryer-pedestals

I still have and use a top loader, and do small loads (and have added once started). If I have a lot, I use a front loader at a close laundramat (mulitple loads, 22 minutes a load, average, all done in an hour with drying). I started using a laundramat for large items, or due to work hours (employers medical condition, meant I gained a lot of OT).

I bought a new Whirlpool topload that has frontload technology, but with none of the problems of a frontloader. I've had it 3 years now and am very happy with it.

Thread Information