Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crafting for the County Fair.

Crafting for the County Fair.

Has anyone else done this? I used to submit knitted and crocheted items to our annual county fair way back when the kids were young. Stopped for a while when we had event conflicts. This year the calendar seems to be free during fair week, so I think I'm going to submit some pieces this year. Have printed out the registration form and rules. I'm actually kind of excited. Is anyone else prepping to do this?
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I haven't done this, but I'd be interested to hear how it goes. It sounds fun. I've considered making things like pot holders and dish cloths to sell. It just seems like you have to keep the prices too low to make money. But, if you have the time, and can get the yarn on sale with a coupon, maybe you can make a profit. I love knitting socks, but they are time consuming. I sell mine for $70.00. I don't anyone would pay that at a craft fair. Hope it goes well for you. What are you making?

I was very involved in 4H growing up and submitted in probably everything I could....except I never entered a steer or hog. I did submit entries in sheep, chickens, rabbits, horse events, and dog shows and I submitted cookies, cakes, any veggies I'd grown, in sewing I'd submit a skirt or apron, I didn't knit at the time but I painted so submitted in that, copper tooling, weaving, and any other craft I was doing at the time. Loved county fair time. To be honest....I haven't been to a county fair since moving down here. I think you should submit as many items as you want.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I love the county fair crafts, sewing, and horticulture displays. When I retire I want to enter hort.

We went to a county fair last year, one in Illinois. The quilts were unbelievably fabulous. I mean the level of artistry and execution--just amazing! the other stuff--not so much. The crafts were dorky, photos were amateur, and the paintings were not good. I'm not even talking about 4-H projects, these are the adult level competitions. The 4-H side of the building had some interesting stuff.

There were some lovely, competent sewing projects besides the quilts, but those quilts, egad! I can't imagine what the competition was like at the state level. Oh wait, I have actually been to the Illinois State Fair and have seen the quilts. They have limited space there so every quilt was amazing but there weren't enough of them.

I love quilts, have no desire to make them.

By all means go for it! It will assure that you finish projects on time, if nothing else--and you might win a ribbon.

I've never submitted anything to a fair, but I've had a few entries in quilt shows. It was fun to lurk around my quilts--ostensibly serving as a helper--and eavesdrop. I haven't made a full size quilt--the idea is completely daunting--but I'm going to get back to making wall hangings.

happystuff,
    Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Sounds great. I thought you wanted to sell you hand knits at a craft fair...

It sounds great happy stuff, sounds like you really want to do this so since you have the time for it you are free and clear to move ahead! Chris

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, it's been so long since I last entered anything, I'm rather excited to do this. Not so much for the competition part of it, but just to participate - if that makes sense. The last 5-8 years it seems as though participate is really down at the fair. The crafts used to have their own building for displays and now they are just a corner of one building along with the veggies, baked goods, etc.

Anyway, after going over the rules and requirements, I'm trying to finish a hooded baby sweater to submit along with some other things. LOL. If nothing else, this should reduce my yarn stash!
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I used to work full time at a small county fair/fairgrounds, and what fun that was! Enter, enter, enter! And, if you can, get involved by helping set up, clerking, etc. Some may be paid, many just volunteer. I've never had so much actual FUN in my life ... (no, I didn't enter things and technically couldn't since I worked there).

Like you, OP, I used to enter things at the fair, usually stitchery or baked goods. But haven't for years. This subject brought a smile to my face because it reminds me of my Mom. She's a quilt purist (snob). She used to enter her quilts (she's made 100s), but when she started getting competition from entrants with "machine-quilted" quilts, she turned up her nose in protest and quit entering. According to her, "that's not quilting."
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!