Thread: European river cruises?

European river cruises?

Anyone ever done one? I've never really been attracted to the big boat cruises but I've been getting some brochures recently that have me thinking the small boat experience might be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Anyone ever done one? I've never really been attracted to the big boat cruises but I've been getting some brochures recently that have me thinking the small boat experience might be worth checking out.
    Same here. Also consider narrow boat canal cruises where you drive the boat. It's very slow and leisurely, winding through 18th century canals in the UK. You can pull over and tie up whenever you want and walk into a village. We did a week on the Shropshire-Union canal and it was a tad more rural than I liked, but still, there were towns and villages within easy walking distance, 1/5 to 1 mile away. We saw mostly "pensioner" aged people on the canals, but perhaps there are younger crowds on the busier canals.

Last edited by iris lilies; 6-16-14 at 12:45am.

Yossarian, I have done a lot of research and there are quite a few levels of river cruises. They range from the luxury to the 12 person or fewer barges. The Viking type with 160 or so per boat are pretty regimented but I like them better than ocean cruising.

cruisecritic.com has a huge amount of reviews and a message board for questions from cruisers. One section is for river cruising.

Thread Information