Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Oz had some 'splainin' to do

Dr. Oz had some 'splainin' to do

I guess the Senate questioned (and chastised) Dr. Oz about all the un-supported things he's saying all the time about every kind of supplement you can think of. Seems like everything he's recommended will cure us of just about every affliction. Too bad he went so far. He lost his credibility for me a long time ago.

The first few episodes of that program were cool and interesting. I could never figure out, though, why the most recent diet plan he touted was not as good as the brand new one, and on and on and on. And, he condescends to the ordinary people on his show, or at least he did years ago. Maybe he learned that from Dr. Phil. I saw a bit of the testimony on the news this morning and he just seemed like he was struggling to defend himself. Just sad.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

I only watched him a couple of times. I believed the opposite of what he was teaching. One of the things he recommended was taking an aspirin every day. He said it was for inflammation once you are in your forties. He seems like a nice man, but I never agreed with him. He also looks so thin...to me he could use some neat on his bones.

I liked some of the books he co-authored. I thought they did a really good job of making our physical systems and processes accessible in a fun way. I've only seen his TV show once, and I was totally put off. I thought it was just another example of crappy, melodramatic, reality TV with a medical spin to it.

I watched part of one show and when he told someone that picking your nose could or would cause death (brain infection) I realized he was just another "picked from the news" lowest common denominator presenter. He may have hidden gems of info but when it is packaged for the masses, I am not watching.

I tried to watch when he had on a couple of doctors I respect (Peter Attia, William Davis, David Perlmutter), and I was struck by the little skits that make him look like a third-grade science teacher. With his "another day, another miracle product" shtick, I think he's lost whatever little credibility he may have had.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I watched part of one show and when he told someone that picking your nose could or would cause death (brain infection) I realized he was just another "picked from the news" lowest common denominator presenter. He may have hidden gems of info but when it is packaged for the masses, I am not watching.
    lowest common denominator
    Interesting. I wish I had more experience with his program, but I suspect that that, combined with a pleasant demeanor could explain his popularity. Still awfully sad.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

I've never even seen this guy. I just know how Dr. Phil is and he's been around for decades.

I do use a couple supplements (calcium, magnesium, D3)........but dang......if you believed everything Dr. Oz says, you'd have hundreds, if not thousands of supplements in your cabinet. It's just irresponsible of him to go on and on about how all these strange, unheard of supplements will cause miracle improvements in your health.
    He said, in the Senate hearings, that the sellers of these products have abused what he has said. Yeah, right. And that he would tone down his adjectives/adverbs about various supplements. But he hasn't.
    I think originally he wanted to help people, but now he's just milking it for all it's worth. It's shameful. He should go back to being a surgeon..........maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I guess the Senate questioned (and chastised) Dr. Oz about all the un-supported things he's saying all the time about every kind of supplement you can think of. Seems like everything he's recommended will cure us of just about every affliction. Too bad he went so far. He lost his credibility for me a long time ago.
    And the Senate lost their credibility for me a long time ago.

Yes, Dr. Oz is definitely over the top and I'm glad someone called him out on it. There is no way that anyone in a day's time could take every supplement he has recommended. It's not physically possible. I think he's lost respect from many, even though he is a top cardiac surgeon, which I think he should return to. I don't think his show is helpful to anyone, just like I don't think the commercials that promote all the different pharmaceutical drugs are helpful either. I wish the government would put a stop to those too...

Thread Information