Thread: Little free library, not so fast!!!!!!!!

Little free library, not so fast!!!!!!!!

Had they bothered to petition their council for permission...or an amendment when they found that the wee structure was not allowed...that would have been a more important and lasting life lesson for their son. I am always a bit astounded when people protest being called to account for violating laws or restrictions that already exist. There are way too many people that hold the belief that laws and such apply only to other citizens.

If you do not like the law or regulation, then work to change it.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Jilly,
    According to the article, it looks like they are going to file a petition.

But calling a structure the size of an oversized bird house an illegal "detached structure" seems pretty ridiculous. Will be interesting to see how this ends up. Maybe they'll allow him to set it up in a common area, like a park entrance.

Oh, sure, I read that. It is that the adults in this story had a responsibility to check for whatever local/neighborhood rules and regulations that might have existed about doing this, and they had enough time during the planning and construction of the wee library to do so. However, it seems that they did not, or maybe they did do their research and decided to just go ahead and do what they wanted and wait to see if there would be any consequences.

Either way, instead of a great news story about a boy who wanted to do something amazing for his community, hopefully starting a series of free libraries, there is simply one more sad, albeit more news-worthy, story about how the powers that be are working to keep down the proletariat.

I guess there are more proponents of the practice of it being easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Just saying.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Reads like one of those tabloid news stories where important details have been omitted, so as to play a single card, such as: Government bans library! I also figure that it isn't necessarily WHAT you do, it is how you go about doing it, that matters. They may have been able to have their mini-library, by using a little creativity with the rules, in the first place. For one reason or another, they did not. The books may(or may not) have been controversial in nature, which drew complaints--we just don't know. If the kiosk was a garden seed exchange instead, the officials(who apparently don't have much of a workload) probably would have made it go away, too. Yellow Journalism, often mistaken for liberal or conservative media bias, is intended to increase interest in a story, and even cause a backlash that is also newsworthy.

I think the main problem was that someone in the neighborhood complained about it. Maybe they fear that free books would bring an undesirable element into the neighborhood?

But once the city got the complaint, they had to investigate.

I'm hoping that the family can apply for a permit for the "structure" and get the Free Library up and running again.

We have neighbors who have installed an aluminum storm door on their historic house. I would not complain because it is something that could be corrected easily by taking it down and they are quiet nice neighbors. However, there are others who would call in a heart beat. Try never to make your neighbors mad.

I remember in NC in a new subdivision a neighbor complained about something going on next door. The next thing you knew the complainer had the city permit department issue a stop work in the middle of her attic conversion because she did not have a permit. Turns out the next door neighbor had called. War was declared. Fences were installed and lots of complaints were expressed.

Local paper had the story with more detail. The violation was because it was in the FRONT yard. Seems to me, that while the kid is now learning about trying to get the laws changed, a simple solution would be to mount it in the back yard, at the fenceline (assuming fence), and allow people to walk the side yard to get to it.
    For homes with porches, make it into a piece of furniture on the porch, that can serve two purposes. (not likely in that area)

I would suspect that if it is in a Homeowner Assoc. controlled subdivision, there would be one or more neighbors who would complain about "traffic" and people stopping and exchaging books. Some have so much time on their hands, they complain about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I would suspect that if it is in a Homeowner Assoc. controlled subdivision, there would be one or more neighbors who would complain about "traffic" and people stopping and exchaging books. Some have so much time on their hands, they complain about everything.
    +1 every neighborhoods got a person like this
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information