Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4th of July

I am spending the day and the night at home. Dog goes nuts at all the fireworks I can see from my house, as well as the mega-amounts of firecrackers that go off in my Asian 'neighborhood. Plus I hate crowds and heat - both of which are abundant right now in SoCal. It's nice to stay home on holidays .... with lots of junk food and some bad sci-fi movies to catch up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm taking a two week July 4th break. This week we're sitting by the pool with the grandkids and doing a little gardening when the mood strikes. Next week we're riding the motorcycle into Virginia, getting onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and riding leisurely down to the Deals Gap, North Carolina area. From there, we'll ride the Tail of the Dragon again as well as the Cherohala Skyway. We'll probably make about 5 days of it.
    Now who's gloating :-)! Oh never mind me, I'm just jealous. Have fun and enjoy the hurricane weather - which may have led you to cancel your plans. Hope that's not the case.

So we wound up just chillin' at home, except for a trip to the dog park. Beautiful day, even though it's cloudy (actually the sun just broke through), because it's nice and cool and breezy.

We're having a picnic-y dinner of hot dogs (DH, not me) and beans (me) and corn and watermelon and pickles and home-made potato salad. Oh, and green salad, with a decent contribution from my salad garden.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Now who's gloating :-)! Oh never mind me, I'm just jealous. Have fun and enjoy the hurricane weather - which may have led you to cancel your plans. Hope that's not the case.
    Actually, we did change the plans. We didn't make it to the Dragon or the Cherohala Skyway, choosing instead to end the week white water rafting in S/E Kentucky. Just got home this afternoon and I'm exhausted!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This forth of July has been so much better than prior ones for the past decade or so. This year I had the energy to cook - I made quinoa and black bean chili, a recipe I've been wanting to try for some time. I also planted some flowers and dug up a few plants in my backyard that didn't take well and put in some succulents. And last night - if you read my first post I brought this up - we had our first dust storm of the monsoon this year and also our first rain. Nice to have the night cool down from what summer nights are like here! Rob

Thread Information