Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TV withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    It isn't about digital verses analog, the signals are all (almost all in truth) digital now. (very few exceptions on the analog with their time running out). What it IS about is ENCRYPTION. Cable got it through congress to allow them to encrypt ALL their signals, so they can even encrypt the same stuff one would receive with an antenna, and after the mandated must provide time frame (think two years), they can charge you for the box. What this means for the cable companies is a return to the 70's, where you were billed per tv. (more money for them)

Without the internet, the options are pretty much find other things to do, or find someone who will let you use their tv.
    I think you're missing the part about the governments desire to sell more access to service providers. The over-the-air frequency spectrum is finite. If I recall correctly, capacity on those frequencies is magnified by a power of 10 by eliminating analog transmissions.

Cable has never used over-the-air radio frequencies, although the same, or higher, capacity increases occur over copper wire when signals are digitized.

In short, it's all about capacity.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think you're missing the part about the governments desire to sell more access to service providers. The over-the-air frequency spectrum is finite. If I recall correctly, capacity on those frequencies is magnified by a power of 10 by eliminating analog transmissions.

Cable has never used over-the-air radio frequencies, although the same, or higher, capacity increases occur over copper wire when signals are digitized.

In short, it's all about capacity.
    Sorry Alan I thought the quote I had in my reply, was on the subject of digital CABLE, which doesn't have to do with capacity. If the Time Warner purchase goes through, there will be a lot fewer cable companies that choose to not encrypt everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    For those that cut the cable and cut the TV watching, was there a period of withdrawal? The dang $30 per month eats at me as I only watch 1 PBS program each night. What did you replace it with to get past a life long habit?

I keep thinking instead of Telly I'll finally have no excuse for not: studying Italian, reading, meditation, learning about Opera (my new curiosity) and saving $360 a year.
    I have gone thru long periods of time without TV or internet. I really enjoyed it and found my life was better in many ways (time-wise especially) without TV or internet (especially internet as that is a real time-suck for me where as TV isn't as addictive). But I do go thru withdrawals and get sort of fidgety (I'm fidgety anyways and zoning on the boobtube calms me down). But that only lasts a week and then that feeling is gone and I really feel like I'm more engaged in life then before.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. The company, Digital TV keeps sending a flyer weekly to my mail box and have collaborated with AAA (Auto club) on a further discount of product. However, I recently read that AT&T is attempting to buy Digital TV. It's in negotiations. So, if that deal goes through, what happens to all the customers. The market is so complex and changes often. Buyer beware.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Unless you're way out in the sticks a $30 antenna from Radio Shack should be able to pull in a PBS signal. That aside, we cut the cable quite a while ago and only missed a couple foodie and designer shows. That faded to black with a smart TV and a world wide web of far more interesting (and far less dramatic) replacements. We probably flip the tube on twice a week later in the evening if it gets too hot/cold/buggy/rainy to sit on the deck or in the garden.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Unless you're way out in the sticks a $30 antenna from Radio Shack should be able to pull in a PBS signal. That aside, we cut the cable quite a while ago and only missed a couple foodie and designer shows. That faded to black with a smart TV and a world wide web of far more interesting (and far less dramatic) replacements. We probably flip the tube on twice a week later in the evening if it gets too hot/cold/buggy/rainy to sit on the deck or in the garden.
    Well, I live in the urban core and PBS can often be hard to pull in. While the change to digital signal was good because it gave us 4 PBS channels instead of just one, digital PBS is less reliable. Forget about it if there is a storm or wind.

The vast majority of the PBS audience is in a much better situation digital, but there are two small groups that aren't: Obviously, the folks on the fringe of the viewing area now will be unable to lock onto the signal (whereas before they would see the results of having a crappy signal - static). Less obvious are the folks in the center of cities with skyscrapers. Multipath interference (signal bouncing off of large buildings) causes a strong signal from PBS to reach televisions twice, slightly out of sync, therefore resulting in failure to lock onto the signal.

We haven't had a television for 3 years now, at first it wasn't particularly a choice as our tv broke when we moved house and there was so much going on we didn't get around to getting a new one and the kids seemed fine so we just left it. Every so often I get a pang of wanting to watch something trashy but then we do watch dvd's and can watch some tv shows online. I read a lot more, listen to music, knit, talk and we also went through a jigsaw phase

I have also heard that security systems from big box stores, office buildings, etc. can disrupt digital transmissions. Not sure how true that is, but it sounds plausible.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I've never had cable or satellite. There is plenty available on youtube and we do pay for Netflix about $8 a month. I think we watch too much. When the kids go off to college I'll drop the Netflix.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information