Thread: Koine Greek

Koine Greek

Has anyone else here studied Koine Greek? I'm taking a class through the same theological program I got my catechist certification from a couple of years ago. The program has spread from my immediate large metro area to our entire diocese of 10 states. So, we meet via Google Hangouts (2 hours each Saturday morning for 16 weeks) instead of in person and it works pretty well.

I'm enjoying it, although it's difficult, and I'm having a very hard time finding enough time to study (I'm currently working 60+ hour weeks).

I have. It's like the old saw about how to get to Carnegie Hall. . .

Things I remember from taking it: Repeating the Lord's Prayer in Koine Greek--even before understanding where one word ended and another began--helps you get a feel for the sounds of the language.

Memorizing the active voice table for λύω ("to loose"). This Wikipedia page is helpful because it's got key noun declensions and verb conjugations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancien...ammar_(tables)

Memorizing the (irregular) conjugation for εἰμί (the verb "to be")

I found it helpful to focus on just a set number of things to learn at one time so it doesn't seem too overwhelming. We used Mounce's "Basic Biblical Greek" as the text.

Good luck!

I'm working on εἰμί right now! We're using Croy's "A Primer of Biblical Greek."

Off to find a copy of the Lord's Prayer in Koine Greek - that's a good idea. I also borrowed a Greek-English interlinear New Testament from my church's library, which I practice reading aloud from.

Made up a bunch of flash cards with vocabulary to help me memorize.

The flashcards are a great idea, as is reading from the interlinear. The Gospel of John is generally a little more user-friendly for beginning Greek readers.

I found some audio of the Lord's Prayer in ancient Greek on the web: at this link, the first one says it is in "classical" Greek (as opposed to modern Greek) but when I listed to it, it sounded just the way I was taught it in Koine. Also, he says the words slowly enough so that you can hear where one ends and the other begins.

Link: http://nonharmingministries.com/lord...dern-versions/

And I like this song: All Things are Better in Koine (youtube)

Gail, we're using Modern pronunciation, not the Erasmusian. I find it amusing that the Gospel of John is more user-friendly for beginning Greek students, given the theology is very "high."

Ah, then maybe the second link to the Lord's Prayer is the one you want.

Leon Morris describes John’s gospel as “a pool in which a child can wade and an elephant can swim. It is both simple and profound. It is for the veriest beginner in the faith and for the mature Christian. Its appeal is immediate and never failing.”

Thread Information