Thread: Parking space houses

Parking space houses

Did anyone see the segment on these on the news recently? It was interesting. I suppose it's good use of spaces no longer needed by cars in big cities. Not sure how they deal with water and sewage.
    It's not for me though.........I'm a wide-open-spaces kind of gal. But it's an interesting concept.

Interesting idea, and might be useful for emergency housing after a natural disaster.

But I'm stuck on the parking spaces. Every big city I know doesn't have enough spaces for the cars that there there now, let alone give up some for a house.

I didnt see the segment but i'd assume we're not talking parking lots in vibrant urban cores but rather dead shopping mall parking lots and the like.

I missed this too, CathyA - can you explain the concept?

DIDN't see it, but it may make good housing for the homeless....

I believe you are talking about this project? http://www.treehugger.com/tiny-house...n-housing.html

I think it's an interesting idea and it would make e.g. a cool hotel or student or seasonal worker accommodation if they sort out electricity, water etc. for a larger complex of those "houses" (I really like how they used the given space even though I am not particularly fond of the decorations etc that they ve used ... it seems overdecorated and impractical).
    However I don't believe it would work well as a community or 'colony ' of homeless people and addicts unless it is more of a shelter where the inhabitants need to follow strict rules or one of the 'new start' housing arrangements for people overcoming difficult situation in their lives.
    I also don't think it would work as a permanent housing solution because of lack of natural light and space around should it be in one-cubicle-on-another arrangement.

Didn't see it, any link to the story?

Wondering how the property owners make money on it and other issues (not paid, then isn't it trespassing)?

meri,
    thanks for posting the article.

I've thought about a similar idea for hotels with a lot of acreage, or even restaurants with basement space. Couldn't they find a small space for workers or even one worker to call home?

I'm reminded of a long ago friend who immigrated to this country from China. Her goal was to finish her undergrad and graduate degrees, then get a good job and bring her parents over from China. Her first job was working in a Chinese restaurant where they allowed her to sleep on a cot in the back so she didn't have to rent a room. Yes, very spartan, and she didn't have to do it for long, but she was thrilled.

I know some school districts have a trailer set-up for a family to live in at the edge of school grounds so they can act as a 24-hr security in exchange for free rent.

I just think there's lots of housing alternatives that haven't been implemented yet due to outmoded zoning restrictions and lack of creative thinking.

It's an interesting concept. I agree with meri that the decorating is kind of loud and impractical in these, but I am sure that would be easily changed. Like Miss Cellane, it does seem to me like parking is at a premium in a lot of urban areas, so I'm not sure how this would solve that.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Thread Information