Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FREEDOM!

FREEDOM!

Both of us retired as of today, yippee! We will be FI within a month or so, paying off our mortgage. Will be living officially under the taxable level from now on for an indeterminate time, and completely debt free. This will enable us to get the O'Dumbocare health insurance (for what it is worth). The changes we are making to be able to do all this: park the paid-for car, biking, walking taking bus to get places on a regular basis except for an occasional trip. This way we can cut down on car insurance cost, repair bills, gas, and make the car last us for years more. We can do this because of where we live. Not eating out unless someone gives us a gift card. Cooking everything from scratch unless we get a prepared mix or something free. Purchasing and cooking food economically. Make our own bread much of the time. Make our own yogurt. Not buying any more clothes except when absolutely needed socks, uw, shoes will eventually wear out). Bowing out of most gift-giving, using up stockpiles for occasional wedding gifts and the like. One shared tracfone for emergencies/out and about (the one who is out uses). Land line with unlimited incoming calls (you call me, or if I call you, hang up and call me back). Lower level of internet (not highest available, but still ok). No cable. Library usage (order books and movies that we want, then renew a couple times online to use longer). No purchasing of books. Continue usage of store, manufacturers coupons, rebates and store sales for purchase of toiletries, cleaning supplies and drugstore items, though honestly we have a huge stockpile to chip away at that will last a long time. Cut our own hair. Cat going off the expensive flea meds.; he never had fleas and is an indoor cat so we were just doing it "in case". No soda or alcohol purchases unless we get it for gifts. Changing the fridge filter half as often or less than the manual says to. Air drying clothes except for a short tumble to shake the wrinkles out.
    To cut our future living expenses down even further, now that we have the time, we will be decluttering over the next year or two; gradually culling things we don't need to keep. This will enable us to move to a lower cost area; moving, storage and housing costs will be less if we have less stuff. We may end up staying right where we are but it would be nice to have some different viable options for living even more economically (houseboat? mountain cabin? overseas?)
    Anyway that is about it; I will report back in a few months to let everyone know how it is all going. Love this forum; this, Amy D., and Your Money or Your Life were my main inspirations.

Welcome to retirement. We are both in our 50's, living much the same way and loving being out of the rat race.

Good for you, yay!
    I am counting down. The health care thing has been a big worry of mine the past week but I put a number on the worst case scenario and guess what--we can afford that! so no more worry.

"O'dumbocare?" Nice characterization for a policy that seems to be helping you. I'm glad that it enabled you to retire early.

Very nice...I think other than health insurance that one of the biggest keys to a simple retirement is choosing the right spot to live. Would be curious to know what part of the country you live in. Where we are now is not retirement do-able on our income.

Regarding the phone thing.... Magic Jack has been wonderful for us. It is $29 per year and you can call anywhere, anytime in the US (Canada too, I think) for free ... plus other countries at a reduced charge. It is totally worth it. We do still have our landline but use this strictly for long distance. YLMV

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Regarding the phone thing.... Magic Jack has been wonderful for us. It is $29 per year and you can call anywhere, anytime in the US (Canada too, I think) for free ... plus other countries at a reduced charge. It is totally worth it. We do still have our landline but use this strictly for long distance. YLMV
    Yeah we looked at that but you do have to purchase the phone to begin with as well as the $29 a year. And the landline is a package deal with the internet service that made it a better deal as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "O'dumbocare?" Nice characterization for a policy that seems to be helping you. I'm glad that it enabled you to retire early.
    Was expecting this but won't pick up the gauntlet, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Very nice...I think other than health insurance that one of the biggest keys to a simple retirement is choosing the right spot to live. Would be curious to know what part of the country you live in. Where we are now is not retirement do-able on our income.
    Yeah, the trick is to find a location that has a housing situation you can be content with, that your retirement budget can handle. It is important to also match that with a location that does not require ownership of a vehicle.

I want to say congrats on your retirement but I'm a bit confused.
    You couldn't make your own bread, hang your clothes out to dry, use the library, live simply before retirement? Understandably you can now reduce your car needs, etc but this retirement sounds more like you are hunkering down. Simply surviving vs. thriving.

If reading books/watching movies and home cooking in isolation are your passions then it sounds great, but I see nothing about interacting with friends/family or the rest of the world much.

Thread Information