Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My friend's dog - euthanasia

My friend's dog - euthanasia

I have a bit of a quandary. My friend is going on a trip overseas. Her dog has been recovering from a stroke, and she decided to have the dog euthanized before she goes, and she asked me to go with her.
    I feel like I can not really support this, as I think her dog is making progress and her quality of life is quite good (still enjoys her food and short walks.) I feel my friend is doing it so she can feel more comfortable on her trip - understandable, but...
    On the other hand, I feel like that this is a deeply personal decision, and that I should be a supportive friend. Should I go with her and say nothing? Not go?
    I don't feel good about it either way.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I have a bit of a quandary. My friend is going on a trip overseas. Her dog has been recovering from a stroke, and she decided to have the dog euthanized before she goes, and she asked me to go with her.
    I feel like I can not really support this, as I think her dog is making progress and her quality of life is quite good (still enjoys her food and short walks.) I feel my friend is doing it so she can feel more comfortable on her trip - understandable, but...
    On the other hand, I feel like that this is a deeply personal decision, and that I should be a supportive friend. Should I go with her and say nothing? Not go?
    I don't feel good about it either way.
    If conflicted as you are I would volunteer to take complete care of the dog during your friend's vacation, making sure she (dog) is entirely comfortable in all areas--feeding, rest, exercise as appropriate. And, I would promise to work with my friend's vet if the dog suddenly goes down, to euthanize her. But even that may not be good enough for your friend. If in your friend's position I would want to be with my dog if she is euthanized.

In my limited experience, stroke dogs don't last long before another stroke. Do you know what veterinary advice your friend has received about more strokes?

I've been near this situation before and there are some friends I wouldn't leave the dog with because I don't think they would do what is best for the dog, euthanize her.

That is a dilemma Gardenarian. I know lots of people on this forum are very pro-euthanasia, but I believe in most cases, we should stay with our pets until they naturally pass, and make them as comfortable as possible.
    But it's a very personal decision.
    I agree with you.....that your friend is doing what's most "convenient" for her. I had a friend do the very same thing..........What I mean is, it was just inconvenient for her to deal with the dog, so she put it down.
    I feel like you should have a very honest talk with your friend. Tell her that you feel the dog is making some progress and you just don't feel right being part of the euthanasia.
    Does she not have anyone to care for the dog while she is gone? Could you convince her to wait until she is back to make that decision?

Would you be able to care for the dog while she is gone?

That is a really tough one to work through. I googled ethical decision making and came up with this that sort of helped me think about it some more. I realize that it is talking about humans not dogs but pets are treasured parts of a family.
    I have added some of my thoughts that may impact my decision if I walked in your shoes. It may help a little or not at all but I simply had nothing else to offer you as I honestly don't know what I would do.

"1 Think about how your decision could affect other people. The philosopher Jeremy Bentham coined Utilitarianism, which generally focuses on creating the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Not sure that this is a major factor except if you decline to go with your friend, you both may regret it and if you do, you may regret it or wish you had spoken further.

2 Contemplate whether society will function humanely if what you do becomes a universal law. Immanuel Kant coined the term "universality" to describe universal law.Is your friend usually acting humanely to the dog and has she done the best for the dog to date? Has the vet suggested euthanasia at an earlier time? Is there more about the dog's illness and care that you are not aware of?

3 Be rational. Emotions cloud the judgment. John Locke and Thomas Hobbes agreed that morality is based on rationality. For example, it is not rational for each person to think only of herself because consideration of the well-being of the human race is paramount for the happy survival of the species. Promoting sadness, however, is irrational.What is the expected lifespan for this dog at present? What are the degree of risk that another stroke is highly possible? Do you know all the factors of the care to date? Is she hoping to complete the dog's life which is already compromised and then have some time to recover from the pain or loss of a beloved pet? Is she so involved or emotionally stressed that she can't see any alternatives?

4 Consider a compromise if any party would be hurt by a decision. Try to gauge how each person will be affected and find a solution that does the least harm, or the most good. Do you feel that you may regret going to be part of this and also regret doing nothing or saying nothing? Will whatever decision you make impact your friendship and your view of your own actions? Compromise:is it possible that a kennel may offer suitable care during the friend's holiday?

5 Consider the duration of the effects of your decision. Long-term positive results can outweigh short-term negative results, but long-term negative results can outweigh short-term positive results. This is ultimately the difficult question.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_8345065_make...-decision.html
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My kitty had a stroke when she was 17 years old. She survived 14 months afterwards. She was put on medication for high blood pressure so she had to have medication given to her daily. Her recovery took awhile and her hind end was always a bit wobbly but I feel she had good quality of life up until the last day.

How long is the friend going for? How does the dog get along when she is away? Will it eat and continue to recover? I know my kitty would have pined for me and not eaten if I went away during the recovery period.

If the dog would eat and not pine for its owner I would probably offer to look after it while she was away as Iris suggests.

The only person who knows the appropriate time to help end a pet's life is the pet's owner. Even veterinarians who have cared for a pet for its entire life can only offer support.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
    The only person who knows the appropriate time to help end a pet's life is the pet's owner. Even veterinarians who have cared for a pet for its entire life can only offer support.
    Agreed.

I look to veterinarians to define the timeline when it's appropriate to end a pet's life. If it is time to consider the pet's end of life at the beginning of a serious health issue, they should speak up. At the other end of the spectrum if the animal is in agony and the owner is in denial, they need to speak up.

But within that continuum, it's the pet owner's call.

I have heard of and observed a few horrors of pet owners who prolong it all because they themselves are too emo, the owner can't face it, and the pet suffers for far too long. What is the bloody point of that? But I can also see that the OP here suspects it is too soon and the pet is being euthanized for convenience.

I agree with both of Iris Lilies posts. Personally I would offer to care for the dog in her absence. Of course it depends if the dog will eat, etc for you as some animals will not.

This is a hard one. My dear heart was doing poorly, took her to the vet who said the time was near. Things got bad, then so bad I couldn't watch anymore. I took her to the vet with the intention of putting her down and walked across the room to get a Kleenex and the dog jumped up and followed me. She hadn't been able to walk for days. She knew I was distraught and followed me. I couldn't do it and took her home. I ended up going back five days later and having it done. I was beyond heartbroken.
    My sister had a dog who was getting old and having accidents and other issues. She felt it was time to go because the dogs health was not good and the accidents were getting costly to clean up. She went to three different vets and not a one would euthanize because there was no medical reason to do so. I would imagine with your friend that she has received advice on her pet. I don't think any ethical vet would euthanize for the sake of convenience. It is never a decision that a pet owner comes to easily and I think sometimes we tend to err on the side of waiting too long. Lots of good advice here. I think I would have to have the conversation about the vets recommendations and be supportive with all information in hand.

Thread Information