Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I cannot find the tattoo forum, so am hoping this will do

I cannot find the tattoo forum, so am hoping this will do

I pretty much do not judge anyone, save for the occasional person walking towards me on the street, wielding the usual, you know grim visage, chain saw, flame thrower whilst littering.

I do sometimes wonder about how some people wear their trousers at half-mast; this is all genders and all ages, especially old guys unless they wear their pant up under their armpits.

But, the kind of tattoo that is a nickname or meaningful phrase that is across the upper chest, from shoulder to shoulder confounds me, if only for how much that must hurt. I have a small, back shoulder tattoo and that was a great although sufficient experience for me.

I guess my question is that I did experience the endorphin rush on my little tat, very, very nice by the way, but I wonder if big pain on big tattoos is part of the appeal. You know, part of the process, sort of ritualistic. I have read about cultural tattooing and other skin things, scarring and piercing, so I get that.

What part of contemporary experience calls some of us to extreme physical challenges? I guess that I am answering my question as I continue to write this, but I am still interested what other people think.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

I do not know. How I do feel is that each generation try's to set themselves part from the old timers. Not all of course. I have a son who has most of his body done now. He has the entire chest done with one such as you mentioned. His ears are gaged. These are all personal artistic drawings worthy of being framed if they were on canvas. Having said that, he will be dated sooner then later. As in a few generations those young one won't want to look like the old inked generation.
    Ps I hate my pierced ears. Had 5 in 1975, then kept four, now I keep two small posts in as I just want then other two holes to be gone. So I hope my son has no regrets someday on his body art.

Yeah, those gages! How do you deal with those when you're older and re-think (regret) the whole thing? I've seen ear lobes stretched down to the shoulders.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

For my 70th birthday (this past July 1st), my sister and I got matching tattoos - a heart with the peace sign inside just above our ankles. First time for both of us and we love our tattoos. Kind of a "when I get old I shall wear purple" kind of thing.

I heard once a saying when you love someone you won't see the tattoos, only the person. That is how I feel about my son. Everyone else I do not know, I never look at the ink, gages, piercing or hair. I maybe wrong, but if they are looking far different then the others, then they want me to notice, so therefor I do not.

i don't know if he will regret all the ink or not. The gages I know can be repaired. I can't imagine still liking the same thing at 50 as 25, but never know.

I also don't know the reason behind wanting multiple tattoos other then to rebel, a form of self expression, and to be seen as an "individual" (ha ha - yeah right, when everyone else is doing it). I agree with the others that eventually it will become "old" and something else will take it's place with the next generation. I don't see it as an extreme physical thing (hurts less then crashing on your mountain bike when jumping cliffs for instance :-)!) but I think they can be very beautifully done so maybe that makes the person desire more "body art". I have a small tattoo on the inside of my wrist that I got when I was in the service - just name, service number, blood type for ID purposes - but it was done very small and pretty with some intertwined leaves and tiny flowers. Wouldn't get anymore though - don't even like to wear jewelry very often - so decorating my body permanently would be the last think I'd want to do.

Such interesting and helpful replies. I love sisters getting symbols.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
    I guess my question is that I did experience the endorphin rush on my little tat, very, very nice by the way, but I wonder if big pain on big tattoos is part of the appeal.
    I've heard people make this argument before, but it is one I don't quite understand.

The pain is fleeting, during the tattoo process. It may be a fun one-time endorphin rush, but it isn't ongoing, or repeatable unless you get new tattoos all the time.

I engage in several hobbies/physical activities on a daily basis that provide incredible endorphin highs. It's quite therapeutic, and a bit addictive. If the tattoo fan was highly motivated by the pain/endorphins, there are less expensive, more repeatable methods easily available.

I've never been a fan of tattoo's, although I'll admit there is a lot of artistic merit in some of what I see. I can pinpoint my aversion to being a young child in the 50's and asking my uncle about the tattoo on his arm. It was the name of his first wife, a woman I never met. He was on wife #2 at the time.

I asked him why he put the name there and he said "Damned if I know". That helped me learn at a very early age that loves, desires, attitudes and fashion don't last and are best not permanently memorialized on your body.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Endorphins? Pain? Never felt either with mine. Still love it after 20 years. To assume someone will regret their decision as you might is just rude. You can only know your own feelings, never someone else's.

Thread Information