Thread: Out of the blue, I finally did it!

Out of the blue, I finally did it!

Get rid of the TV, that is! I was performing the rare event of vacuuming and dusting my living room, and realized I hadn't even turned the circa early '90's dang thing on for over six months and just decided to chuck it (responsibly, of course). Off to The Salvation Army went one very obsolete color TV, an even more obsolete VCR, a modem-thingy and a DVD player. I am so busy living life, working, traveling, creating and building my budding jewelry business that I really have no time to watch stuff anyway. What I do watch are specific shows via Netflix on my lap top, and that is working out just fine for me.

After scraping the grime off the top of the bookshelf where all this ungainly stuff sat collecting dust, I now have two pretty vases, a ceramic plate with Lake Michigan beach stones arranged on it, and another vase my brother gave me. It is very beautiful and calming to look at. I hadn't realized how much stagnant energy was being wasted by hanging onto obsolete junk!

Well Done!

Way to go! Getting rid of stuff is very freeing, isn't it?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Very well done, but what are you going to do without Big Bang Theory re-runs? I do not watch much, either, but BBT and Shark Tank need me. You know?
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

Right on! I love our TV and lots of things on it, but that might be because Netflix doesn't stream in Israel. But anyway, enjoy the freed-up space!

Did you just drop it off at the dock or how did you get them to take it? (thought they didn't take tube tv's anymore, between disposal costs and no digital tuner)

Good for you!
    I turned off tv in November of 2008. Others watch it in house. I just never turn it on or watch with them. I don't think all tv is bad. I suddenly felt like I was being fed one sided news. Commercials telling me what to buy, how to be happy, what to dress like and such. The home that I call home and go back to every other week, I turned it off and those TVs were moved to the other house. I can't see myself ever going back to tv.

I've paid for disposal when upgrading to flat screens, but I guess some thrift stores still take CRT TVs--my SO's son recently bought a nice one at Goodwill.

Salvation Army took it all. I still have my electronics though ~ my lap top gets a work out everyday. I am starting to realize how much time I spend on the computer with Facebook (more of a marketing thing for me with my jewelry business), getting my news on-line, etc. I am trying to limit myself when I realize I am just surfing when I get done with the stuff I need to get done (like now, for instance). I am going to turn it off for a while today because I know I'll need to get on tonight. Over and out!

The television is an ad box sprinkeled with news and shows that are 75% negative and sensationalizing every sin in the book.

Thread Information