Thread: The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

My town puts out a monthly email of news about the town, and recently they started putting in little historical tidbits about things that happened long ago. Two of the entries for July:

July 10, 1645 - John Baker was fined ten shillings for drawing his sword and running after Indians with it drawn, and to pay 2s. 6d. fees. He was also admonished for trading with Indians on the Sabbath day, and ordered to pay 2s. 6d. fees. He was further presented for beating Richard Nason so that he was black and blue, and for throwing a fire shovel at his wife; 5 shillings.

Racial discrimination, illegal trading, assault and spousal abuse--sadly, nothing new there.

Or here:

July 14, 1668 - Ordered by the selectmen that forthwith the Constable shall take of William Williams by way of distress the sum of 19 shillings for a fine for breach of a town order for entertaining Naomi Hull.

A bit of research indicates that Naomi went on to make two respectable marriages, although neither one was to Williams.

My town I grew up on and father still lives has 100 years ago today or whatever year article section. Though usually not as eventful as yours, often it is the same news as today: 10th st bridge is under repair. Or stuck in up position. We always laugh as there are 3 draw bridges in town and one is always under repair.

That's so funny Miss Cellane. That's one of the things I always loved about New England - the sense of history, and it being really not that different then today. Out here in the west, while we have Native American and Spanish history, it's not the same so much as back east and, for me, is less relatable.

Try living in the UK!

The same problems that make the news have been going on for hundreds of years! (Well, except for people being hanged for stealing sheep, or transported to Australia for stealing a handkerchief!)

If I could get to Australia by stealing a handkerchief, I would do so in a heartbeat. Small price to pay for having a criminal record, which, by the way, would make me much more interesting.
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

If you have ever read anything about the barbarity of the British Transportation history, you wouldn't make light of it.

Personally, I just pay Singapore Airlines to get there to see my family!

Same as countries, religions, people that have been fighting forever. I wonder if that can ever change really. It seems to be deep in history and belief for them.

Thread Information