Thread: Slingshots?

Slingshots?

Does any here use a slingshot? I used to be pretty good back in high school with my old wrist rocket. I'm thinking of taking it up again, just for target practice (I've never done any hunting, but, emergency preparedness...)

I was looking at this Trumark Slingshot on Amazon. It has pretty good reviews.

I like the guy who uses it with chickpeas to keep the squirrels away Might be handy for those pesky raccoons who keep raiding our garbage.

I'd love to hear your experience and advice.

I am more an atlatl kind of guy right now, though I had a great time with a slingshot as a kid, and have one now modified to launch antenna wires into trees as-needed.

If you are thinking of using a slingshot (or rifle, or really any weapon) for subsistence hunting, think through the problem a bit. Consider the energy/time cost of hunting vs. the calorie yield of squirrels/rabbits/small birds.

Then after you've done the math, resolve to learn how to set up a trapline with snares, and let the snares do all the work for you :-)

I've used them for the purpose you describe--critter management--but don't own one right now. One early-type weapon I really used to enjoy is my sling, a la King David. I was actually pretty good with it. Long ago I taught a Wed. night kids' (4th graders) group at church, stories, crafts, etc. I taught them how to use the sling. We used whiffle golf balls and threw them at a cardboard Goliath. It was awesome! Some of the young moms were horrified, which was the best part.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Every time I leave the Tractor Supply Store, I pass by their slingshot display, and I keep thinking that I'll get one. I want to use it to propel seeds into my field, without having to walk or ride through all the brush. I was thinking of gathering various tree seeds/acorns, etc., and wrapping them in a kleenex, and shooting it to various spots in the field, hoping that nature would get them planted eventually. I see one with and one without a wrist support. Any suggestions about the wrist support. I have really bad finger arthritis, so I might not even be able to shoot it, but I thought I might try. Either a slingshot or a catapult!

Bau - I think you're probably right about the snares; I'll study up on that. Maybe I just have an urge to shoot something, even if it's an old beer can. It happens.

Kaylr - I've never tried a sling - very creative with you're Goliath! I bet the kids had a blast.

CathyA - I think I saw some slingshots on Amazon that were made for seed bombing. Most of the regular ones have a pocket that's a bit too small. Fun idea! The wrist support gives me much better aim and makes it easier to pull back, giving you more force (as I recall.) I think the wrist rockets were either outlawed or limited to over 18 when I was in high school - you can really pack a wallop with one.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I have a slingshot (with many little steel balls) in my emergency bug out bag. It's a fancy wrist one and I'm pretty good with it but doubt I could kill anything small to eat with it. More for self-protection from the zombie hordes :-)! I also have a little mini-crossbow for the same reason (amongst other, more...um...useful things to protect myself). Both are really just for fun and I don't think in a RL emergency situation they'd do any good for hunting or protection. Both are pretty deadly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    I have a slingshot (with many little steel balls) in my emergency bug out bag. It's a fancy wrist one and I'm pretty good with it but doubt I could kill anything small to eat with it. More for self-protection from the zombie hordes :-)! I also have a little mini-crossbow for the same reason (amongst other, more...um...useful things to protect myself). Both are really just for fun and I don't think in a RL emergency situation they'd do any good for hunting or protection. Both are pretty deadly though.
    I also have a slingshot with little steel balls in my grab 'n go bag! Have been contemplating a little crossbow, but don't have one... yet. Have the arrows for one, though. Was actually contemplating trying to learn to shoot the arrows with the slingshot. Sounds crazy now that I have typed the words, but I guess stranger things have been done. lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I also have a slingshot with little steel balls in my grab 'n go bag! Have been contemplating a little crossbow, but don't have one... yet. Have the arrows for one, though. Was actually contemplating trying to learn to shoot the arrows with the slingshot. Sounds crazy now that I have typed the words, but I guess stranger things have been done. lol.
    Mine is like the photo Gardenairian linked. Not sure it would fire those little mini crossbow arrows (called bolts I think?) but hey, it's worth a try. My ex-hubby use to get me "weapony" things as presents on Valentines day or B-Day (a man after my own heart) along with sexy nighties (OK a kinky man after my own heart :-)!) So I have a collection of various "weapony things". Some useful, some not. I do like the slingshot though and it's fun to plink around trying to hit things with it. Same with the cross bow.

Mine is similar to the one in the photo, although it actually has a rubber-like piece for the wrist/arm. I also have a more traditional wooden handle with just two metal prongs and leather shot piece.

LOL on the kinky & weaponry.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information