Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what things would you give up for a month?

what things would you give up for a month?

I was reading the Zen Habits blog about he devotes one month to eliminating something from his life - caffeine, alcohol, sugar, smart phone, sitting, etc. I love the idea of self-discipline so am thinking about trying it - perhaps starting with daily web surfing. It is amusing and interactive but somehow leaves me feeling empty after I see how the clock has flown by. What do you feel the need to give up for a little while?

I wonder what it means if I am perfectly satisfied and peaceful with my life, that everything is such wonderful balance that I never feel as though anything, any activity or thoughts are taking energy or time from anything else.

That shared, I could use more sleep on occasion, although I think some people experience that in a regular life anyway.

Are you suggesting that sacrificing the actual doing of something that you like is an exercise in discipline and just generally good for the soul...so to speak?
    It is well, when judging a friend, to remember that he is judging you with the same godlike and superior impartiality. Arnold Bennett

I too can be content with they way things are if I wish. When I look back at my life though, the times I felt the best were when I accomplished something through discipline. Giving up smoking after 30 years, going to a class instead of sleeping in, sticking to something until it was through. Perhaps that is just a way of looking at things that we absorb as over-achieving Americans. But I am hoping it is more a way of initiating a change from what is feeling like stagnancy.

how do you give up sitting? LOL

liver. i would give up liver for a month. no, a year. that long.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    how do you give up sitting? LOL

liver. i would give up liver for a month. no, a year. that long.
    Better start drinking at a bar that has no stools to fall off of. (kills the liver and stops you sitting, your done when you hit the floor)

If you can't tell, I know TOO many alcoholics, and all I can do is laugh about it. Friend just had his home broken into, multiple times. Didn't worry about it when property and a couple thousand dollars was taken, but steal his alcohol and he went beserk.

I use Lent as an annual discipline for doing just that, although Lent is longer than one month. Sometimes it winds up being a life change, other times I'm happy to get back to whatever it was I gave up!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I wonder what it means if I am perfectly satisfied and peaceful with my life, that everything is such wonderful balance that I never feel as though anything, any activity or thoughts are taking energy or time from anything else.
    mental health and enlightment (or else astoundingly good defense mechanisms )

---------------------------------

I think how it goes with some (alrighty maybe me - I usually do speak for myself) is they have strong perfectionists, puritanical, traits and the culture very much will help that out (most diets will help for that matter - they're often really good examples of things that tend to absolutism). OMG you ate one sweet, OMG, OMG - never mind your don't have diabetes or anything that one sweet is remotely harmful in any sense (although too many sweets might very well be), just the end of the world. And then this will predictably lead to full on rebellion. And the rebellion is probably much healthier (mentally) than the perfectionism - cause the ruler is a totalitarian who tolerates no disagreement afterall, they must be overthrown! But neither are really ideal. The actual optimum solution might be in the in between, negotiating, bridging a chasm, calmer, more rational, less absolute, while taking the long term view. It's just more difficult to find.

So I'm eliminating brocolli. No brocolli will cross my lips this month, it will be hard but. And then when I'm done I will give up working. I love it, but sad to say I will give it up . Ok of course I'm being facetious book.

I have been cutting down internet (yea after my 10th millionth post today I say that ) - but really. I do understand the emptiness.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 7-15-14 at 7:01pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think I go more for moderation and cutting back. I've done that with sugar. Replaced it with Agave in my coffee, and cut my coffee consumption down to less than half. I still really enjoy that cup of java, though.

I was doing a lot of knitting, and now that I'm swimming so much, I've kind of let the knitting go by the wayside...

I'd like to give up swearing and yelling, permanently. I'll work on that...(I live alone, so it's only the dogs that hear me.)

Does giving up impatience count? I work so hard at that and then something unexpected comes along and my patience is gone again.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I would gladly give up my MIL for a month!!!

Thread Information