Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Living Abroad for a Year - Have You?

I would probably travel a lot more if I didn't have two dogs. When I do travel, they come with me. That's smart that you're petless for now. Sounds like a plan!

When I lived in Honduras working on a DOD contract I didn't like the local insurance my small contracting company had. I went out and found international insurance, which the company then reimbursed me for. Among other benefits it paid for someone (family member?) to come to me if I got sick, paid for me to get back to the US if I got sick, and paid for US treatment for 30 days. I can't get to my records to get the contact info, but let me know if you want it. It was a US company, but the insurance was out of London, and it paid for treatment pretty much anywhere in the world. Two years ago it was basically the same cost as what the others had for Honduras only insurance.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Thanks, Shadowmoss...let me Google around to see if I can find intl. medical insurance options. I know France, for one, requires proof of med insurance to issue a long-term visa...I would imagine other countries might be the same...makes sense-- they don't want us to use their medical system without an abiity to pay.

if anyone else has intl. med inusrance companies to recommend, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Both of us are in good condition, very light consumers of medical facilities, but one never knows...
    peaceful, easy feeling

I lived in Finland for two years, France for three years, England for three years, Ireland for six years, and now Israel for almost three years. Yes, it's definitely do-able! Go for it! Try to stay one place longer than three months, though...it's worth the hassle with paperwork and residency visas to be able to stay in one place. Also, you may get better deals re: housing if you can sign a one-year lease, even if you have to leave a few days before the end of it to not overstay your visa. DON'T overstay your visa...EVER, especially in the U.K.! They are not kidding around..when it's time to go, you need to go...no nonsense, ifs, ands or buts!

Thread Information