Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny House Nation tv show

Tiny House Nation tv show

This just started on the FYI channel. A couple or family with a normal sized house decides to drastically downsize and a tiny home is custom made for them.

I've seen the first two episodes already. The homes are well thought out and customized but oh! sooo tiny. Somehow I feel that these two families will eventually move out and into something a bit larger. Neither of the families were simple-living to begin with and it was a very big change for them.

I think tiny houses are ideal for one person or a couple. (I haven't seen the show.) My cottage is 567 square feet, and it's perfect for one person. Well, I think it is. How big are the homes on the show? It's too bad they're not building homes that the families will keep and use. (Well, from what you're saying, it doesn't sound like they are...)

I'll see if there's anything on it on the Internet. Sounds interesting.

I get a tiny house email showcasing some homes. I think it is affiliated with the show. Agree that going that small is great for one person, for me it would be very hard with another as I think we would be b uhh moving butts all'm of the time! Just like DH and I do when we are both in the kitchen!

Interesting comments Packy. Our house at 100sqm (just over 1000sq ft) is just as you describe - practical without being extreme. It seemed generous when starting out as a couple, became progressively cosier as our family expanded, and now the chickies are flying away again I think it's just the right size for the number of people living here - i.e. 3.

When I grew up there were families living in what we called the "railway houses" which sound just like those fairly tiny ones you describe and people still do live in them. Good simple solid homes, though many of them have been expanded over the years.

Would love to see the tv show but, alas, we get very basic channels with our very basic cable. I will definitely be moving into 'smaller' when the nest is empty and love seeing even extreme tiny homes for the ideas, etc. I'm thinking a small 2 bedroom Katrina cottage would probably be just right for me. No attic - no basement. Just what I'm living in day-to-day. Ahhhh.... to dream!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I watched the show on the Internet. (You can google it.) They went really small for a family of four. (Especially with two teenagers!) They do have a huge deck, though. The outdoor living aspect is nice. To me that house would have been better for them as a couple, after their kids leave. I think they're planning for the future, though. They had a super long commute to work.

My home was built in 1944, according to the deed. But, we realized that before that, it was just the kitchen and bathroom. The living room and bedroom were added on in the 40's. I think the original house was built in the 20's. So, the initial size was about 200 square feet! These tiny houses were built for soldiers who had PTSS after the war. They were "rest homes." Mine is one of the originals. All of the others have large additions. It used to have a water closet. You can see where there was a wood stove in the kitchen.

It's ideal for me. Less to clean, a nice shady porch, and plenty of land for growing food and raising animals. Each person has their own needs. I lived in hotel rooms and apartments for years, so for my situation, this is plenty of space!

I just watched the "300+ sq ft for 4" people show. It works because of the outdoor space, I think it'll work great in the summer months, not sure about the other seasons, though. (I think they get 4 seasons in Tennessee?) With both parents working, and home to entertain outdoors when they're off, it seems idyllic. But add some rainy, non-work days with everyone home and... I'm not so sure. Right now their whole life is geared to the outdoors.

I've been living in 600 sq ft for 5 years now, and it really is just a bit too small for me. I think 700 ft would be perfect. I am a quilter, and need space to work, and store supplies. Right now those supplies are in bins in the living room, and so is my work table, but I get really tired of the "clutter" aspect of it. I'd like a more sleek, serene space.

I'm also an educator, and need to have space to store educational materials. Those are mostly in bins stacked in the closet, and I create a huge mess, moving boxes to get to what I want to use, just not very efficient.

This is a rented apartment, so I don't have the option of adding anything to the walls, which could make it better. And I don't have any outside storage at all, so everything I own is IN here. Even a "tool shed" outside for the garden tools and empty flower pots would help. But you know, I wouldn't want a loft. I see my mother, not able to get things of her closet shelf any more. We need to plan a bit for our futures.

I will check this out on the net, thanks for posting.

I'm going to watch another one of the episodes. It does really make a difference when you have "outdoor living spaces." I spend a lot of time on my porch. I have a double swing in the backyard orchard, too. It just gives you a feeling of expansiveness. Our winters are very mild, and we have sunny weather year round. I agree with you, mschrisgo2. I felt badly for the girl on the show. She seemed really sad about moving from their original home. It was so beautiful.

When I was on tour in Europe with 42nd Street, the leading actor in the show brought his entire family with him. The mother tried homeschooling the five children in a hotel room. She packed up the kids and went home after a couple of months. It was just miserable, compared to their nice home back East. This show kind of reminded me of that. You can only take so many field trips...

Oh this is making me long for cable! Guess I can see it online though.

I love small houses and have found I am very happy (happiest) living very small. My current house is WAY too big for me (1,000sf) and I close off 2 back bedrooms (including the master BR) and back bath. My sister lives p/t here so those are her rooms - as are most of the cupboards and cabinet space as I really don't have anything. So I really only use the small LR and a tiny bedroom and closet and very tiny 2nd bathroom. I never use the dining room so wouldn't need one, and rarely use the kitchen. Over the years I've found that a small one bedroom apt is best for me (300 - 500 sf). I don't need or want a house with a yard or land (never use my yard - AKA dog pooping zone) or have a need for an outdoor space. Just a little place that I can lock and go away as long as I want without worry, and that I don't have to maintain. I don't have kids, or hobbies or activities that require more space so would never feel the need for more sf. Just a spot for my bike and some sports equipment and I'm good!

One thing though that I see a lot on small house show, is that they often have impractical things for life long living. Say a sleeping loft of some sort that can only be accessed via a ladder. Great while you are young but may be a challenge for people as they get older and want to stay in their house. Same with being off grid or out in the boonies. So as Packy said, unless you plan to be in the same situation forever, you might be better off thinking "practical" rather then whimsical as you may want to sell at some point or your lifestyle may change and your house doesn't work for you any longer.

Thread Information