Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secretary of State

Secretary of State

I have noticed that our recent Secretaries of State are perpetually flying from one place to another. Has this always been the case? I honestly don't know. Also, do you think it does any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    I have noticed that our recent Secretaries of State are perpetually flying from one place to another. Has this always been the case? I honestly don't know. Also, do you think it does any good?
    I would say, that's their job. It's better than staying around here, campaigning for President.

Earlier this year, a reporter asked State Department Spokesperson Jan Psaki if the State Department could point to one notable accomplishment during our last Secretary of State's tenure, the one who logged more air miles than any other Secretary of State. Apparently, they couldn't come up with one. http://capitolcityproject.com/state-...un-initiative/

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any from the current SecState either.

I would say, that's their job. It's better than staying around here, campaigning for President.
    Unless it's used as some sort of paid internship prior to seeking higher office.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

So this nonstop travel is not historically the usual mode. I didn't think so but I just wasn't sure. I had to Google to find out who was SecState under GWB-->Condi Rice and Colin Powell (how quickly I forget) and I do remember some travel for them but it didn't seem to be so non-stop. Of course, HRC and JK want to be President so maybe the non-stop travel is just to keep in the public eye. Running from here to there all the time seems to me to lessen their effect, kind of like calling wolf all the time. Anyway, I was just wondering about it.

Humm...that's kinda their job isn't it? Diplomacy and talking/dealing with other countries and what not. of course lots of travel wasn't the norm in 'the founding fathers' day so maybe it's just democratic Sec. of State you have a problem with.

How about this..as travel becomes easier and more doable, those whose JOB it is to stay in contact/negotiate/deal with friends AND enemies travel more cause, face to face is better than a phone call...or telegraph...or smoke signal...or riding a horse 3 weeks just to go one state over. I'll bet they use computers more than past Sec. of States did too. But then you know what Lincoln said about that:

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln

According to an article in USA Today, Hillary Clinton and Condoleezza Rice are about even. Rice logged more total miles, Clinton visited more countries. I'm not sure why this is a point of contention, unless the point is that it would be more environmentally sound to use Go To Meeting software or something.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.U81mOLH-Kdw

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    According to an article in USA Today, Hillary Clinton and Condoleezza Rice are about even. Rice logged more total miles, Clinton visited more countries. I'm not sure why this is a point of contention, unless the point is that it would be more environmentally sound to use Go To Meeting software or something.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.U81mOLH-Kdw

haha, that's great, Jane! You are so funny. Anybody send Netanyahu the call-in password?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    According to an article in USA Today, Hillary Clinton and Condoleezza Rice are about even. Rice logged more total miles, Clinton visited more countries. I'm not sure why this is a point of contention...
    I stand corrected. Rather than saying "logged more air miles", I should have said "logged more trips".

But I, and the State Department, continue to search for one notable accomplishment (discounting that whole Russian "Re-Set" thing since it turns out that "Re-Set" wasn't exactly a good thing).
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    How about this..as travel becomes easier and more doable, those whose JOB it is to stay in contact/negotiate/deal with friends AND enemies travel more cause, face to face is better than a phone call...or telegraph...or smoke signal...or riding a horse 3 weeks just to go one state over. I'll bet they use computers more than past Sec. of States did too. But then you know what Lincoln said about that:

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln

Hey, if their budget is making them cut back on travel, if they have a meeting to broker a peace deal, I have some frequent flier miles I can donate.

I am not going to begrudge a Secretary of State the tools to do their job any more than I'd begrudge a carpenter a hammer and saw.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm not sure why this is a point of contention, unless the point is that it would be more environmentally sound to use Go To Meeting software or something.
    yea I had that thought, the carbon impact of the travel. But even if most Americans could give up flying, for Sec of State it does seem necessary.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information