Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi. My name's Cathy and I'm a watermelon addict.............

Hi. My name's Cathy and I'm a watermelon addict.............

I can't believe how delicious the seedless watermelons are around here this year! I eat some several times a day. We have it for "desert" all the time.
    What happens when the season is over??? How will I go on????

Think that we need an association for watermelon addicts. They are so good especially on a muggy day and they come straight from the refrigerator or cut up in large chunks or simply the juice.
    Of course, I also love strawberries, blueberries, apples, cherries when I pick them fresh in the field. Life is tough being such an addict.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Oh, I love them ice cold when I need some fluid! My family goes crazy when they see me do this, but I put a little salt on the chunks.
    They have been soooooooo juicy this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Oh, I love them ice cold when I need some fluid! My family goes crazy when they see me do this, but I put a little salt on the chunks.
    They have been soooooooo juicy this year.
    Just got a HUGE melon. Looked up ways to freeze and use. No way are we going to be able to eat it all before it goes bad. The melons sure ARE good this year.

I got the usual kind at Kroger.......seedless and are all about the same size. This one was a little larger, but man was it heavy! When I cut into it, the juice started pouring out. I cut it up into smaller pieces and it took 2 big tupperware containers. I'd never gotten such a heavy one. I should have weighed it.......maybe 15-20#.
    It's hard to go back to the seeded ones now. It's such a treat!

Had watermelon for dessert myself last night!

Made a new (for me) killer salad the other day: Watermelon chunks, a large cucumber chunked, about 1/8 c. finely sliced red onion, some finely chopped mint, a finely minced jalapeno, juice of one lime. Make sure it's cold when served. Ya gotta try it.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I agree. We have had some over the top tasty melons. I have found myself wandering into the kitchen in the middle of the night just to pick a couple of pieces from the container. So refreshing.

A local grocery store is advertising "watermelon hearts" at $7.99 for 40 oz. Is that crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    A local grocery store is advertising "watermelon hearts" at $7.99 for 40 oz. Is that crazy?
    Yes.......that's crazy! Maybe people will pay for that, so they don't have to cut up a watermelon themselves. I have a system and it goes pretty fast. I cut up the rind for the compost, but save one for the chickens, and one for the butterflies.

KayLR....that sounds interesting!
    Anyone ever make watermelon sorbet?
    Remember watermelon rind pickles, when everything used to be used?
    Hmmmm......it's only 8:15 in the morning, but now I'm hungry for watermelon........cold, crisp and juicy!

I think I am just a generic melon addict--watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, Oh sooo good!

Thread Information