Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How are your gardens doing?

We just moved here and know nothing about gardening in this climate. But we had a pineapple that was growing in the flower bed and it was sure good. And we have a lemon tree.

my understanding is tomatoes are planted in the winter. We have just bought from the farmers market so far, there are several close by.

I'm impressed with all the success. I cut way back on what I planted because of the drought. It's good to hear that everyone is doing so well, though. Gardening is fun when you produce. I did splurge on some annuals today. For some reason, the flowers really make me feel happy when I'm out on the porch...I can see them from my window, too.

Doing great! Just picked our first cucumber. We had a few cherry tomatoes and we have LOTS of green tomatoes of all kinds getting ready to ripen.

This year in addition to the cucumbers and tomatoes, I tried: Lettuce, swiss chard, kale, collard greens, mizuna, leeks, onions, mesculin, pole beans, and beets, and they're all growing. I've been eating the lettuce and the swiss chard.

Oddly, my herbs aren't doing all that well this year, and they're always a sure shot. But we usually grow them in containers and this year we put them in our new garden, so maybe the soil isn't exactly right yet.

Oh, but in the little pond overflow area we provided for when it rains and our little baby pond overflows we planted watercress, and it's germinating! I'm so excited!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My garden is producing well. This is our first garden here at our new place, so we didn't know what to expect. We've had lots of strawberries, and now tomatoes and peppers, from which I've made lots of salsa.

I'm having a bit of a problem with septoria leaf spot...........I think it's a fungus that starts from the bottom of the tomatoes, and works up, and destroys all the leaves. Putting straw under all the tomatoes works well, but I think what's caused it this year, is the heavy rains, combined with some extremely low night temps. I'm hoping the tomatoes can still make it.

Cathy: good luck with your tomato problem. We have something similar, in our neck of the woods any bad-looking tomato plants is because of "tomato blight". Early blight, late blight, but if the tomato plants look bad, by golly it's blight!

Ours are also dying from the bottom up. It's happened before - and will no doubt happen again. (And we always mulch heavily with straw.) But so far it hasn't mattered for production: I'm picking 50-70 tomatoes at a picking (16 plants), twice a week. It's just the plants themselves look terrible.

We're just hoping to get a pantry full of tomato and tomato products put up before they give up the ghost.

My God...50-70 tomatoes off of 18 plants. Wow! I have four tomato plants, and I've picked about 8 tomatoes. The cherry tomato plant is producing very well. I've never gotten a lot of fruit off of my tomato plants. I'm not sure why. They look gorgeous. Green and healthy...nice yellow flowers, just a few fruits. Fortunately, the co op gives us tomatoes in our box, so I can make sauce with theirs.

awakenedsoul: I came across my post tonight and worried that I had exaggerated.....but no. I picked yesterday morning, last night had company and (wonderfully!) gave away 10 or so tomatoes, and I sliced 2 for lunch today, and right now on the kitchen island there are.....61 tomatoes. Or so. It's hard to count when they're all layed out like they are. But it's close, and I guess I have not been exaggerating. So hey, move to Kansas! Well, southeast Kansas. We by golly grow gardens in SEKS!

Last month I made 2 qts. of spaghetti sauce, and 3 baggies of enchilada sauce, for the freezer, just to use up last year's (canned) tomato produce. Knowing there was gonna be a lot more, you know.

I need to remember more often that we tend to be blessed in the gardening department.

We're right there with you Lin. SE Nebraska isn't far from SE Kansas (until late October, then you win!). Lots of people around here are saying they are having a tough time with tomatoes this year, but we are still getting a minimum of a reusable shopping bag full a day, usually a little more. Canning every weekend. We did 93 pints of salsa last weekend. That was a chore! Gave LOTS away to friends and family, but should only need to do one more batch to round out our annual requirement. We dump it on everything so go through a couple pints a week. Anyway, its been a good garden year in SENE.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Great tomoatoes, plums, and decent (but not huge) zuchiini crop.

Thread Information