Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frugal fatigue

Frugal fatigue

The commercials for brand new cars are just so enticing! And look at all the channels from Cable, with speed galore on internet, and nifty iPads and other devices! Oh, look! A Whatamacallit! It slices! It dices! It even lets the dog out! Wow! Oh, WOW!

Okay, calm down. Back to earth.

It's just that, sometimes the shiny new toys are so pretty, and I am so tired of taking the bus to work, or borrowing DVD's from the library. Sometimes, I crunch my numbers and I think, I could be just like everyone else, and buy, buy, buy! Then I crunch my numbers again, and, oh look! Look at all that money in my savings account! Just 'cuz it's there, I really shouldn't spend it. Should I?

No. As tired as I get of caring for my money and reducing my carbon footprint, I have to drag myself back down to earth. My rent will sure-as-shooting go up next year, so my savings this year will go towards that. And, really, if I calculate the expense of a car by the mile, a bus pass is a far cheaper alternative. And I don't have to look for parking or cheap gas or fix it when it sputters and dies. Shoe leather will always be cheaper than a new set of tires. And I don't even have a dog!

Alright, enough whining. I was just sighing about being so frugal these days. Sometimes it just pulls you down. I'm lucky enough to have a forum like this one (and others) that ground me and help me to get through the rough patches. Thanks to all, for being there!
    Susan

Funny, was just 2 minutes ago reading another frugal fatigue thread:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/wel...rugal-fatigue/

Susan, Can you treat yourself to a little something, a luxury that won't break the bank? Sometimes that helps. For me, it's seeing a show, or making a delicious meal. I got a cheap gym membership that feels like a luxury to me. I think it's great that you take the bus and are so frugal. I take the bus most of the time, too. Because I canceled my cable, I don't see much on t.v. anymore. I feel it makes a big difference when you're not exposed to advertising. But, I had a lot of debt for many many years. Once I paid it off, I decided it wasn't worth it to me to buy anything I couldn't afford.
    I look at my neighbors, and it seems like everyone that drives up is in a brand new SUV. That just blows my mind. But, they seem very stressed and overextended, too.

I have always wondered what percentage of new cars are financed. The number of really expensive cars has exploded here so yeah, I feel pretty frumpy some days riding around in my old Volvo - I get that but then I think about the insurance, the constant worry about door dings and shelling out $30K or more for something that mostly sits in a parking lot except for commuting. I also think about all the money I have saved driving an older car.

I have felt very UNFRUGAL lately. There has been some stuff I have watched for, for years, to come in at certain price points, and it feels like it all hit at once. It doesn't help that I also have around $800 of receipts to turn into work for reimbursement.
    I'd like to trade places for a minute or two. (feels stressful seeing no growth of savings right now)

From another end of the spectrum, remember life swings.

For me being frugal allows me the means to have some little treats in life here and there when I need them. Lately, it's been paying a little extra for really good coffee. This is a wonderful luxury for me and what gets me out of bed in the morning sometimes. That heavenly smell in my kitchen brewing..... When I have something small like this I don't succumb to the temptation of bigger things. I know most people are in debt for their shiny new toys. Being debt free is a much better feeling for me. miradoblackwarrior, allow yourself a treat every now and then - you won't feel so deprived.

Constant self-deprivation can be wearing; especially when it's involuntary. Planning and saving for occasional splurges might help, if it's not.

Thank you, all, for the shot in the arm. Actually, come to think of it, I took a trip to NYC in May to visit my brother. I indulged in the train, and glad I did. While there, we did simple things (no shows), and I stayed with him. All in all, the most expensive part of the trip was the train, which I enjoyed thoroughly. I have to remember that--I LOVE NY!

By the way, Yossarian, thanks for the link. That was really informative.
    Susan

One thing that helps me is to remember IT IS MY MONEY. I "could" buy it IF I really wanted it but usually I CHOOSE not to, because I have other things I would rather have(like freedom from debt, freedom from work etc.)

I can identify with occasional attacks of stuff envy. It's hard not to look at some things, like shiny new cars, and not feel a twinge of covetousness.

I find it helps to think about things I no longer use (I don't like the term "given up") but don't miss. in my case, cable TV is a good example. Of course, it's impossible to go through a day without seeing something on cable. The gym where I exercise each morning has five large screen TVs directly in front of the treadmills, and you're forbidden to turn them off even if you're the only person in the gym. When I see the idiocy of most of the programming, I inevitably think about the $600 or more I'm saving each year by passing on that junk.

Or clothing. I've more or less achieved my goal of wearing a uniform to work: khaki slacks, a blue Oxford shirt, and brown shoes. Funny thing, nobody seems to notice that I wear the same thing every day--or if they do, they haven't commented.

Thread Information