Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting rid of moths

I just ordered some, both for my basement and the appartment, and I will report back... Crossing my fingers !

Another process that will get rid moths that is ok for fragile textiles is to seal the textile in a plastic ziploc, freeze it for at least 3 days (a week is better), let it thaw for 3 days (still in the bag), and then freeze it for at least 3 days. The freezing kills any live larve or moths, then thawing it invites the eggs to hatch. The larve are killed in the next freeze. After doing this, vacuum everything well, and dispose of the vacuum bag. Works best on textiles with no metal like spangles.
    Mrs. Hermit

Thanks Mrs Hermit, I am doing this with the small pieces of fabric (my freezer has three small drawers only).
    I am a bit discouraged because I noticed yesterday that these moths also seem to get in/around books ... and I have hundreds of them.

Oh, that is hard! Freezing might not work for the books because of the glues used in the bindings. The traps might offer some help. Cornell University has a lot of information about bug control, as do many state extension services. They might have some information that could help.
    Mrs. Hermit

Thanks for the tip, I am going to check out their website.

Thread Information