Thread: Suing Obama

Suing Obama

Am I missing something or are the Republicans suing Obama because if their suit doesn't succeed at any court level, they can appeal till it ends up with the US Supreme Court, which brought us George Bush 43 and any number of other unsimple results? From there on, impeachment would be easy and the Republicans in charge of the Executive Branch forever?
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

I think you are missing something, that's not how the game is put together.

Am I missing something or are the Republicans suing Obama because if their suit doesn't succeed at any court level, they can appeal till it ends up with the US Supreme Court, which brought us George Bush 43 and any number of other unsimple results? From there on, impeachment would be easy and the Republicans in charge of the Executive Branch forever?
    I wonder who is more cynical really. I viewed it as purely a political stunt. So evil genius versus pointless panderings that have no intent to be sucessful ... I can't decide which is worse.

Someone will probably argue Obama does overstep his bounds and so on. That may be. But I don't even know what they are suing on at this point, not enforcing the employer mandate? While that probably doesn't help Obamacare function (and doesn't support employer provided health insurance - and one should prefer employer provided insurance - ONLY IF the alterntives are worse - sadly most ACA plans might be :\ ), it's an odd hill to die on.

But that those hills are always the one's fought over, it's always the picture frames in the living room aren't aligned right - while meanwhile a roof in the bedroom has collapsed and the bathroom if flooded. But it's the principle of the picture frames not being right see, picture frames not aligned right are symbolic of the same neglect the lead to a roof collapsing and the plumbing never being fixed. We need to start with the picture frames ... maybe we'll get to the other stuff someday ... if you'll just let us deal with the picture frames ...

And they wonder why the whole world and much of the U.S. electorate rolls their eyes at U.S. politics.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    And they wonder why the whole world and much of the U.S. electorate rolls their eyes at U.S. politics.
    I think that's because most folks don't understand the issues at stake. Our method of governance is based upon the rule of law, not executive fiat. The individual legislative acts are irrelevant if the executive can choose to modify by decree. We have a President, not an Emperor. I believe the potential lawsuit is a gentle reminder.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think that's because most folks don't understand the issues at stake. Our method of governance is based upon the rule of law, not executive fiat. The individual legislative acts are irrelevant if the executive can choose to modify by decree. We have a President, not an Emperor. I believe the potential lawsuit is a gentle reminder.
    then they could sue about something like targetted assasination or even the Libyan war (lacking congressional approval), something that matters.

But that's just my opinion and the employer mandate really really really matters more than all of that? Well it may matter as policy as far as maintaining employer provided health insurance I guess, so I could see some policy stake in it (the ACAs overall effect on employer provided insurance is probably debatable). But as the issue that represents executive overreach? Is there an element of choice involved in what to sue over? So why not war without congressional approval? There's always some excuse, it's like some psychological parody of excuse game-playing with our politicians. Yes that would make sense but wouldn't couldn't do that because x. Yes, yes all perfectly logically but we couldn't do that because y. Yes that would be sensible but a, b, c, d. So you see our absurd choices that make no sense are really the only sensible ones! Someone please write the satire. At which point - give up on the system. If it's indeed "the system made me do it" and they indeed "can't help it" then a system that forces absurdity isn't worth all that much IMO.

I think people may very well understand the whole rotten thing - all of it, every maneuever. The Game. Which they know is never really played for any stake that matters, and will always have 1000 legal disclaimers warning not to take it seriously, that the user is it fault if they do so. And so they want no part of it probably - sensibly
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information