Thread: WA State fires

WA State fires

This is an impressive blog written by a couple who are living near, and affected by, the Carlton Complex fire in WA State. I place it here because they document some of how they managed to save their house by creating a protective ring around it. The photos are stark and vivid.

http://bdsjs.com/blog/2014/07/firestorm/

My brother has been fighting this fire off and on (they'll only send his crew out 2 wks at a stretch) all summer. He's also been over in Idaho. The article mentions a Clark County fire crew--that's where we live.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

These fires have kept most of the firefighters in WA state and surrounding states quite busy, either directly working on the fireline, providing logistical support, or backfilling for crews that were sent off.

I have received several pages here to activate all of our resources and prepare to be dispatched "somewhere" for 72 hours -> 2 weeks, these all-hands alerts for the whole state are very rare events.

Let me recommend this organization to any of you who live in communities that are susceptible to wildland fires, their program is great and makes a big difference in the survivability of your home and neighborhood:

http://www.firewise.org/?sso=0

I didn't read all the posts. Those are beautiful photos, Kay. Fire is intense. I live in an area that has a lot of brush fires. I make sure to get rid of all the dead weeds, grass, etc. We pay extra now to the fire dept. because of our situation. It's worth it. Your post inspired me to get outside and do some more tree trimming today. The landscape in that area is just gorgeous! I'm sorry for the people who lost their homes. I hope they were insured...

Thanks for sharing! I may bookmark this to share with friends here who live in fire-prone areas. I find it mind-boggling that more people who live in those areas don't take the steps needed to ensure their property is better protected, but I see it every time I go into the mountains. This even though it has not been very long since our summer was what WA/OR/CA are getting this year, so you would think people who live in places that didn't happen to burn in the bad drought would get a clue. Then again, we've had a *very wet* year this time around and memories are short.
    On the plus side, that whole area in the final pictures will be full of fresh grass and wildflowers next spring if they can get some good, native seed spread on it. In a year or two, you won't be able to tell there was a fire except if there are black trees still around.

Thread Information