Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Steering" at the polling booth

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Republicans are not going to vote democrat because they were handed the wrong ballot. They are going to ask for the correct ballot.
    Yes, my people are generally not that weak and ineffective! You got that right. I am thinking more of people who are on the fence or who would like to vote for a Republican candidate, even for the wrong* reason.

But those exploring Libertarian or even Greenie alternatives might be more tentative in challanging the status quo.

* wrong reason is to elect a stalking horse candidate to run against your favorite candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Your logic and your facts are wrong.

First of all, my state is an open primary state, so “ the Republican primary is voted on entirely by Republicans” is not a true statement since anyone of any political affiliation can infiltrate the Republicans. And I am fine with this actually, I just want these infiltrators to do it consciously.

Secondly, There is NEVER a downside for the steering lying unethical poll workers who are, of course Democrats, to hand out Democratic ballots. Edited to add: never a downside for THEM.

The more ballots cast on the Democratic side, the more advantages that party earns under state election laws. I cannot remember the complex formula our state uses for handing out perks, but if I run across that info later I will post it. Third party candidates come into these primaries at a severe handcap due to these laws and it is made worse by steering at rhe ballot box.

Thirdly, OF COURSE it freekin matters in the end, a few votes OFTEN determine an election. You sound as though you are talking only about a Presidential election and only two parties count. In reality, hundreds of elections across the country are affected by a handful of votes. We have one from yesterday where a candidate lost by 4 votes and there was irregularity at the polling place that may well have flipped that election, somethng as simplei as the polling place opening an hour late.

When you say “it seems far more likely that you had a random poll worker who made a mistake” I say, well, sorta. Certainly that poll worker wasnt targeting me personally, but she was tagging each voter throughout the day with her lazy assumption that everyone wants a Democratic ballot. A few of those voters would have to challenge her on it, and some people are just not brave/sophisticated/mature/knowledgeable enough to do that.
    Ok, now that I've got more info I agree. I didn't know that MO was an open primary state. But I agree with the previous poster who commented that surely most people who are given the wrong ballot would speak up. If they don't it's on them for being such a wimp or too stoopid to realize what has happened.

I'm reminded of my mother. Growing up she and Dad NEVER went to vote together. Sometimes pointedly. At some point in my 20's I asked what was up with that. The story mom told was remarkable. At least when viewed from a 1990's perspective. Right after they married (mid-50's) they went to vote at the same time. Dad presented himself and was sent to a booth to vote. Then mom presented herself and the pollworker woman, looking through the democrat registration book said "I can't find your name" Mom said, "that's because he's a democrat and I'm registered republican" Poll worker shouts to dad, in the voting booth, "What's a matter!? Can't you keep her in line??? HAHAHA" Being a civilized woman mom somehow managed to contain her emotions and not to get arrested for punching the stupid b****. But for the rest of their lives my parents never went to vote at the same time again.

Jp, great story about your mom! Haha, good woman there.

Thread Information