Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Steering" at the polling booth

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    well pretty much ALL urban farming will fall under zoning ristrictions.
    I don't think Peg is in an urban area. Neither is 90% of Missouri.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    peggy that is a whole lotta projection onto me, iris lily. This post was about the tricks of a particular party, not about amendments.

I actually voted against all of the amendments because I think that's a stupid way to legislate.
    Actually I was really just trying to give you the benefit of the doubt hoping this wasn't just one of those Fox-type rants against 'those evil democrats and their godless, trickery born of Saul Alinsky tactics cause, you know, Benghazi..." Guess I was wrong.
    My bad for assuming that anyone who chooses to follow the green or libertarian parties, (parties you actually have to choose to follow unlike simply going along with the in one ear out the other dogma of the republican party) you would have enough grey cells to ASK for your ballot and to know you can actually VOTE for your party. Neither one of these parties have their own network to feed them BS all day long in a mind numbing string of idiotic accusations and phony scandals to dull their thinking capabilities. If these folks choose these parties to follow and managed to come out to vote, I can pretty much guarantee you they don't need anyone to 'steer' them away. Did you ever think that maybe these ladies were actually Libertarians who wanted to make damn sure only thinking people voted in their party?

98% of the people vote either democratic or republican yet these ladies are evil plotting democrats for offering these two ballots initially?
    Must be Obamacare...
    Or benghazi.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    ...My bad for assuming that anyone who chooses to follow the green or libertarian parties..you would have enough grey cells to ASK for your ballot and to know you can actually VOTE for your party....If these folks choose these parties to follow and managed to come out to vote, I can pretty much guarantee you they don't need anyone to 'steer' them away.
    bolding mine. No, you are wrong. Anyone who is exploring something outside of the 2 party system does, in fact, need to be shown it exists as a choice in the primary election. There is lots of interest these days in libertarian ideals if not the actual party.

Did you ever think that maybe these ladies were actually Libertarians who wanted to make damn sure only thinking people voted in their party?
    Why no, I didn't entertain that possibility, hmmm. And now, after thinking it over, I entertained and rejected it, but thanks for that idea!

98% of the people vote either democratic or republican yet these ladies are evil plotting democrats for offering these two ballots initially?
    They are not evil, and they hardly plotted. They were ignorant and their party bosses were the plotters.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    Did you ever think that maybe these ladies were actually Libertarians who wanted to make damn sure only thinking people voted in their party?
    Unfortunately, if we limit voting to thinking people we'd have a pretty low voter turnout. JMO.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

It should be done (asking which of 6 ballots they want) for the same reason you randomize the order of the names on the ballot and they do. But, would perfectly rational people be swayed by the mere order of the names on the ballot? No. And this perfectly rational humanity you are looking for doesn't exist. But I don't necessarily believe small stuff could overcome strong conviction (you walk into the polls determined to vote for a 3rd party come heck or high water), it's more human behavior often takes place in a much grayer area.
    Trees don't grow on money

I am ressurecting this thread because once again, in today’s primary election, the poll workers steered me to their choice: Democratic ballot.

When I came into the voting room I checked in with them, gave them my photo I.D which they used to locate my voting record. All good, I signed the form.

And then they chose my ballot for me, initialed it as they are supposed to do, and pushed it towards me on the table. I was ready to vote! Only, oops— they pushed the Democratic ballot towards me. I looked at them in a quizzical way. That gave them the cue to ask which ballot i wanted. Doh, not the Democratic Party ballot, people.

I would be thrilled if we all went to mail-in ballots. So simple.

ETA: Oregon and Washington are mail-only, and I think California is heading that way.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 8-7-18 at 7:53pm.

I hate all the unethical stuff by any party!

Without knowing what's on your ballot today I'm curious, would steering you to a democratic ballot actually alter the results potentially? If it's a primary and you either have a choice of a ballot with all democrats or a ballot with all republicans it wouldn't seem to make any difference. If that's the case then you probably just got stereotyped as "old white lady still living in the hood instead of in a west county suburb, must be a democrat." Or even "someone living in the hood, statistically she's likely to be a democrat"

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Without knowing what's on your ballot today I'm curious, would steering you to a democratic ballot actually alter the results potentially? If it's a primary and you either have a choice of a ballot with all democrats or a ballot with all republicans it wouldn't seem to make any difference. If that's the case then you probably just got stereotyped as "old white lady still living in the hood instead of in a west county suburb, must be a democrat." Or even "someone living in the hood, statistically she's likely to be a democrat"
    Yes it makes a difference! Are you kidding? I want my candidate on the Republican ballot to get my vote, there were many candidates in this primary. I do not even understand your comment, and besides, there were more ballots than Dem and Repub.

I guarantee that voters who are unsure, lack confidence, or are new to the game might not challenge the people behind the table. I GUARANTEE that my candidate lost at least one vote in this city due to this “steering” problem. I also fuarantee that the
    Libertarians and the Greenies and etc. lost votes due to the steering. Votes cast at elections determine a host of issues for these parties.

DH, who is an election judge, said that the “steering” is wrong, there is verbiage the poll workers should say.

Thread Information