Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is your garden neat? How about your backyard?

I can barely find my ripe tomatoes, and sunflowers fight with lambs ear all over. That's the front yard. So no, not neat. This is why we live in a mon-HOA neighborhood.

The front is mostly neat, the back yard is so-so. It has been awful to go out and do anything this summer with how humid it has been and the darn mosquitoes....I usually last about 10 minutes before I am badly bit up.

NOTHING, inside or out, is currently neat at our place. But we work on it in fits and starts. But I've never learned to be an "everything in its place" person, and I do appreciate "moderated randomness", so I doubt I'll ever meet the neat and tidy standard. I WOULD like to be better at weed control! My older flower beds are mostly perennial and full, so they are mostly ok and fairly easy to maintain, it's the new beds and the garden space that gets me every time!

Drought=easy to keep the garden neat! The only weeds are around my roses, which I keep going with greywater.

We do have a lot of junk in our driveway and yard right now - sorting through the oddments in preparation for the move, and creating a great big FREE pile.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Thanks for all the replies. We've had a heat wave here, so I haven't been doing much gardening. I do water the plants every other day, but I need to weed both the front and backyard. Once it cools down, I'll do a better job.
    Rosie, Glad to hear you're harvesting tomatoes. We don't have a HOA, either. I've been throwing down straw mulch, Ruth Stout style.
    citrine, Sorry you've got so many mosquitoes. We've had intense heat lately, too.
    early morning, I hear you on the weeds. I've got Bermuda, and it is very stubborn. Planting fruit trees and mulching heavily have helped.
    Gardenarian, Yes, I know what you mean about the drought. I don't have a lawn in front or back anymore. I use grey water, too. The FREE pile sounds great!

Our front yard is very neat but the back was a disaster thanks to DH. However, we are totaling redoing the backyard with pavers, astro-turf and a small garden. We also have a large shed & I told DH all his junk must fit in it because once the back is done I want it totally neat. I don't intend to spend $15,000 to just have it look junky. Since we live in drought country we thought this was the best way to go. We will only need to water the small garden, fruit trees & rose bushes.

rodeosweetheart
    My garden much neater than my front yard--just don't care about my front yard, as it is much more pleasant to be out back.

Thread Information