Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need relocation advice from Northwestern Washingtonians!

Selah - Congrats on the move even if DH's abrupt choice to not return to help pack up, and of his choice on a place to live, it's at least a great choice. Bellingham is one of my favorite town in WA and probably the place I would chose to live if I moved there. Love the drive along Chuckanut Drive to Laribee SP, the trails right in Bellingham. Lake Whatcom, the stunning views of both Mt Baker and the San Juan's (and the fact that you are close to Mt Baker and the San Juan's),U of W and the big arboretum and park, the cute downtown area, the closeness (and also the distance) to the 2 big cities, the college vibe with lots of interesting activities to do, Fairhaven District and park, the ferry terminal for a quick trip, even the weather seems less rainy there (maybe in a rain shadow or something). Just one of my favorite places. Good luck with your move!

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words of support, everyone! DH is having a wonderful time gathering, squirrel-like, things for our new place. After completely freaking me out by spending (without consulting me first) literally thousands of dollars on brand new stuff (bed, computer, television, linens) after I begged him to look on Craigs List first, he's finally calming down and has begun attending estate sales. Today, he got a nearly-brand-new, barely used upright vacuum cleaner (a Dyson knockoff) for $12! And he's been checking out the consignment stores for used furniture, and is in happy astonishment at the high quality and low prices of the goods. It's definitely a buyers' market at the moment. My mother has been going nuts in a good way, using this as an opportunity to downsize and declutter, and is giving us all sorts of cleaning supplies and home maintenance stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    Selah -Bellingham is one of my favorite town in WA and probably the place I would chose to live if I moved there.
    Agreed. I wanted to see Bellingham for years after reading The Living, by Annie Dillard. Finally made it out there five years ago.
    Selah, if you haven't read the book, I strongly recommend it.

This all sounds great, Selah. After reading this thread, I want to go out there. Glad to hear your husband found some good deals at estate sales. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it once you arrive.

Update: The two cats and I made it. The airline left one of my two suitcases behind, which naturally contained my desktop computer I use for work. The apartment is nice...DH did a great job kitting it out. First meal in was at a Mexican restaurant, last night was at a Chinese buffet. Yum!

Wishing you the best time in your new location. It sounds ideal as a base to work from and live in. Having built-in family contacts is great.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Welcome to Washington! (It's better here, as I always tell out of state friends. )

Thanks, Razz and JaneV2.0! Mt. Baker is completely covered in snow and the rivers are higher than I've ever seen them. And yet, our apartment is surrounded on four sides by other apartments and has great insulation, so we haven't even turned on the heat yet. It's so great to be physically comfortable in one's own place--a big change from winters in Israel! Everyone has been incredibly nice and welcoming, and very helpful and very polite, not to mention efficient. A soft landing after a hard journey, to be sure!

Welcome back to the States! I hope your transition goes smoothly, Selah!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Welcome back! and ditto good wishes for your transitioning.

Thread Information