Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's for dinner in August?

Tonight we're having salmon, green beans out of the garden, baked green tomato casserole (with fresh bread crumbs and cheddar cheese) and a spinach salad with strawberries and a balsamic vinaigrette. DH is going to love it! Oh.....and as usual....watermelon for desert!

Oh....last night I made a cucumber, onion, and watermelon salad with balsamic vinegar. It was actually very good! I'd never thought of using watermelon like that. I saw the recipe online and decided to try it out.
    Very refreshing.

I made kung pao chicken for lunch yesterday, and a romaine, spinach/kale, sweet onion, tomato, and bacon salad for dinner. I haven't cooked much lately, but should step it up.

Well, I see where Arby's has a new sandwich out there, called "The Meat Mountain". The nearest Arby's to me is about 1 1/2 miles away, in a freestanding building "sandwiched" right between the Rent-To-Own Appliance Center, and a Title Loan company. The online ad for Arby's says its got ham, bacon, burger, two kinds of cheese, chicken & misc. random floor sweepings, piled high between the bun. It's priced at $10. Just joking about the floor sweepings. Ha. Given the proximity to the other businesses, the "Meat Monster" should also contain some Shark Meat, as well. The restaurant has been there as long as I remember, but cannot count me as a patron. Some of you kids would prolly love it--especially if the "Meat Monster" were dipped in egg batter and deep fried. Well, wouldn't you? Sorry. Just trying to be funny.

Last night: grilled peri-peri chicken, green beans dressed with olive oil and garlic, brown rice, humungous mixed salad.
    Tonight: lasagne, salad
    Tomorrow: meat-and-veggie loaf, brown rice, ajvar
    Thursday: remainder of meat loaf, colcannon
    Friday: spicy pork chops, humungous mixed stirfry, pear-topped yogurt cake

Sunday was sausage patties w/brown rice and saute'd okra; Monday was a minor household emergency which necessitated eating out; today was beef fajitas with guacamole and all the fixin's; and tomorrow is plain ol' tacos.

Suzanne - tell me about peri-peri chicken. And ajvar.

Blackdog Lin: peri-peri is a spice that's heavy on the chili. Ajvar is a mixture of eggplant, bell peppers, paprika, and oil.

Links to recipes:
    Ajvar: http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od...es/r/ajvar.htm
    I confess that I buy this readymade, in large jars, and have been caught eating it out of the jar with a spoon...

Peri-peri sauce:
    http://leitesculinaria.com/7745/reci...hot-sauce.html

Milder versions:
    http://foodomania.com/piri-piri-spice-mix/
    http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/per...-sauce-recipe/

One can also use pure peri-peri pepper, dried or fresh - peri-peri are like bird's eye chilis, so treat with extreme caution!
    Last edited by Suzanne; 8-27-14 at 11:30am.

Ratatouille, and lots of it.
    Basically, throw everything in the garden in the slow cooker. Yum.

Thanks Suzanne. DH probably wouldn't go for Ajvar (though I would love to try it!), and I'm pretty sure anyway we're not going to find it within a 60-mile radius of our little rural spot in the middle of nowhere.....

But peri-peri sauce - now that's something I might be able to do something with, and DH would try. Thanks for the links.

Back to meals.....Saturday was.....whoops, we ate out. Been car shopping. Today was food worthy of a 5-star restaurant: brunch chilaquiles. OMG, if you haven't tried making them you need to. They are nothing fancy or gourmet, but oh my the flavors just end up going together. In a sensuous gastronomic fantastic explosion in your mouth. (well, we really liked them this morning. ymmv.)

Tomorrow is grilled steaks (assuming DH gets his a** in gear and lights the mini-grill) and garlic-butter stir-fried Brussels sprouts and corn. A little holiday celebration for us.

Thread Information