Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Eggs

Eggs. How do you feel about Eggs? Do you rummage through the Egg Cooler at the grocery store, opening every carton, cherrypicking to get really Primo Eggs? After all, when you are paying Big Bucks($3/doz in Seattle) for something, you want it to be first class, don't you?

Here in the midwest, I buy brown cage-free eggs at Kroger for about $2.50-3.00. I only open them to see if they are damaged.

I go to the back yard. I get big brown, green, and white.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Mixed feelings. I think I'm sometimes (somewhat?) allergic or sensitive to them. Like the last time I had quiche and I admit I picked it up from a coffee house so I don't know what other garbage it might have contained - I felt like the feeling of having consumed a massive amount of caffeine - mind just racing out of control and crazed - and I had consumed NO caffeine that day - in fact caffeine seemed paradoxically calming when I finally consumed it (well I figured if my mind was going to act as if I'd consumed 5 cups of coffee I might as well AT LEAST get some black tea! ha). And it's definitely not the first time I've noticed mental agitation from eggs. Also I sometimes have digestive symptoms from eggs. Other times they don't seem to bother me. So I eat them in very strict moderation (mostly just if I'm having breakfast with my mom - I don't even buy them - she gets the organic omega 3 eggs from trader joe - those have yet to cause me problems eating them very moderately).
    Trees don't grow on money

At the new Hy-Vee store here, the Cashier opens the carton of eggs, to make sure they are in good shape. This way, people don't really need to go picking through the cooler, leaving opened cartons this way and that.

I just go see if the chickens have any spare.

Well, since we have touched upon one aspect of hill-people culture, it may be worthy of note that not too long ago, the city council discussed amending the ordinance against keeping "farm animals" inside the city, to allow keeping poultry. I bike past at least one place in the country where they have chickens in the yard during the day, combing it for bugs. They are cute, and I know people use them for food, but the pest control aspect is about the only reason I'd keep 'em around.
    Last edited by Packy; 8-9-14 at 5:24pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Well, since we have touched upon one aspect of hill-people culture,...

I'm envious Float On..............mine are all in henopause. I LOVED having my own eggs. (I mean theirs).

I really miss them.

Ours come from the backyard too. Once you get used to truly fresh eggs.....

Thread Information