Thread: Northern California to Salt Lake City- what to see?

Northern California to Salt Lake City- what to see?

So a friend and I are going to be taking a quick trip, driving from Northern California to the Salt Lake City area and back over roughly Labor Day weekend. It's been 20 years since I've been over this route. Any recommendations on "must see"? how about places to avoid? any unique meal stops along the way? any other thoughts? Thanks!

Hi! I have a book by Reader's Digest that goes over scenic routes in the USA. I will get it out soon and see if there is anything noteworthy....you may want to consult the Visitor'sBureau of Salt Lake City for restaurants or they must have a Zagats for there. The Visitor'sBureau should also have information on what to see there....Chris

The Bonneville Salt Flats are flooded, this year. They had to cancel the speed trials there. Maybe next year, they'll resume.

Hi again, I looked into my reader's digest book. Most of the things to see are natural scenic drives, some very beautiful. Do you know which roadways you will be taking? That would help a lot. I could scan in all of the pages and email them to you if you would like. You could private message me your email.

I was going to suggest the LDS Family History Library, but that's a pretty quick turnaround.

Depending on how far north you'll be starting in CA, and if you're interested in plants & trees, consider Gilroy Gardens. Yes, it's an amusement park but it's incredible! I was there in June.

https://www.gilroygardens.org/

Circus trees: https://www.gilroygardens.org/things-to-do/circus-trees

Thanks for the replies. I'm already north of Gilroy Gardens, but I agree that it's pretty fabulous. We went there for Mother's Day a few years back, delightful day. Bonneville Sal Flats flooded?! wow, it's been a strange weather year. Thanks for the suggestions re: scenic drives, I looked them up and we're going to try to do one of them... we really don't have much time, but i'd like to make the best of it. Thanks again, everybody.

sbagirl- thanks for sharing that link! I'm about 2 hours from there but new to Northern CA so had never heard of it. The garden and the circus trees look fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    So a friend and I are going to be taking a quick trip, driving from Northern California to the Salt Lake City area and back over roughly Labor Day weekend. It's been 20 years since I've been over this route. Any recommendations on "must see"? how about places to avoid? any unique meal stops along the way? any other thoughts? Thanks!
    What route are you taking - Hwy 50 (The Loneliest Road in America) or I-80? I've never done the interstate but have done Hwy 50 - and it's true to it's name but can be a harsh time of year to take it as services (or any sign of life besides free range cattle and jackrabbits) are few and far between. This link below lists some places near hwy 50:

US 50 has a diverse route through the state, traversing the resort communities of Lake Tahoe, the state capital in Carson City, historical sites such as Fort Churchill State Historic Park, petroglyphs, alpine forests, desert valleys, ghost towns and Great Basin National Park. The route was constructed over a historic corridor, first used for the Pony Express and Central Overland Route and later for the Lincoln Highway.

Fort Churchill State Historic Park is a state park of Nevada, USA, preserving the remains of a United States Army fort and a waystation on the Pony Express and Central Overland Routes dating back to the 1860s. A 1994 addition forms a corridor along the Carson River. The park is in Lyon County south of the town of Silver Springs. Fort Churchill is one of seven National Historic Landmarks in Nevada. The site is one end of the historic Fort Churchill and Sand Springs Toll Road. It is located on U.S. Route 95 Alternate, 8 miles (13 km) south of U.S. Route 50.

http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/05...evada-usa.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada
    Last edited by Spartana; 8-18-14 at 2:58pm.

Thread Information