Thread: Boyhood the film

Boyhood the film

The film Boyhood was shot over 12 years. We saw this tonight and loved it. It is getting off the charts great reviews. I think that's because it resonates with everyone, there are not any false notes, and it's a relief to have a real and honest family film that doesn't pander to Hollywood trends or end up in violence and sex.

It is magical, watching the beautiful little boy grow into an awkward, not-so-beautiful teen, only to emerge as a young man who is loved by the camera.The director took a real chance with this one because how could he know that this kid could act all the way through the timespan, or that he would emerge as handsome? Or that the young actor would even be stable enough to shoot this for a dozen years?

I was surprised to see it rated R but I suppose adult themes and some language would keep it from being PG13, but anyway, it's not for children, they would be bored.

I highly recommend this one.

From IMDB summary:

Filmed over 12 years with the same cast, Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD is a groundbreaking story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child named Mason (a breakthrough performance by Ellar Coltrane), who literally grows up on screen before our eyes. Starring Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette as Mason's parents and newcomer Lorelei Linklater as his sister Samantha, BOYHOOD charts the rocky terrain of childhood like no other film has before. Snapshots of adolescence from road trips and family dinners to birthdays and graduations and all the moments in between become transcendent, set to a soundtrack spanning the years from Coldplay's Yellow to Arcade Fire's Deep Blue. BOYHOOD is both a nostalgic time capsule of the recent past and an ode to growing up and parenting.

I liked the premise of this movie and the actors were splendid. But honestly, it was too long for me. I was squirming in my seat for the last hour. Just from frustration at it's pace. But I though it was very good film, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    I liked the premise of this movie and the actors were splendid. But honestly, it was too long for me. I was squirming in my seat for the last hour. Just from frustration at it's pace. But I though it was very good film, nonetheless.
    It is longer than usual. But I was worried that we wouldn't get to see him off to college, was afraid it would be too short.

The ending was just about perfect.

Thread Information