Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How simple is your bed?

We've never had a beautiful bed frame just the boxsprings and mattress on the short metal frame. We have a lot of windows in our bedroom and I like the simplicity and having more attention drawn to the windows than the bed.
    My husband keeps a high-end air mattress in his music room. There are times that that air mattress on the floor is the only thing that saves his back. We use to have a very high-end super thick and heavy futon mattress and I wish we'd never gotten rid of it. It was much better for his back than this traditional mattress/boxspring.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I tried a wool mattress in a shop recently, if you could buy some basic wool fleece and make your own!

My bed is horrible and it's the first thing on my list to replace once I get out of debt. It's so bad and so old that I sleep on the very edge, because there's some firmness there, otherwise, I roll into the center.

We've considered looking at really simple Asian beds (DH slept on one in a hotel in China and loved it--thanks for the tips, Dhiana). I slept on a SleepNumber mattress at my brother's house and liked it. I travel so much on business that I'm often tempted to just buy a Westin Heavenly Bed. Anything would be better than what we have now.

In fact, our whole sleeping routine is messed up. My dog wakes us (well, wakes ME) at dawn. I used to just get up at 5, 5:30, 6, 6:30, whenever dawn might be and walk her, but then I discovered that if I just leave the bedroom and sleep in the guestroom for an extra hour or two, she doesn't bother me there. And the mattress in the guest room is far better! So I get some good sleeping in. (You might ask, why not just swap mattresses between our room and the guest room, and the answer is, because when my kids come, I don't want them sleeping on such a crummy mattress, and I DO intend to get a new mattress eventually.)

So, I'm definitely interested in the replies in this thread.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

catherine........can you put some plywood underneath the mattress?

I absolutely hate that mattress commercial "If it's eight (years old), you must replace. How absurd is that? What a load of poop!

I just can't bring myself to sleep on foam or need electricity to make the bed work. (Although I guess there's foam in the couch pillows I sleep on......) I'm such a hypocrite.

Oddball - could you post a link to that pad? REI is having a big sale right now

I sleep on a mattress on a platform bed. I don't like soft mattresses. I use sheets and a bedspread - not a lot of blankets, I get hot.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I absolutely hate that mattress commercial "If it's eight (years old), you must replace. How absurd is that? What a load of poop!

I just can't bring myself to sleep on foam or need electricity to make the bed work. (Although I guess there's foam in the couch pillows I sleep on......) I'm such a hypocrite.
    I always laugh at the 8 years thing. I grew up on a mattress that, by the time the last one was replaced, was close to 50 years old. (they had come from grandma's house, and after her passing the one I know about, became a guest bedroom mattress). My current one is better then 20 years now, but I want a different style bed (more drawers to eliminate wasted space).
    Mom picked up an air mattress at a garage sale, around a decade ago. It was missing the cap, so it wouldn't hold air. She called the company to order a cap and they sent her one free. I've thought of trying it on some kind of frame (like the fold up one from another post, or a murhpy bed, etc), but don't like the idea of relying on electricity for it. (had two weeks without electricity, so no blower in the furnace, but the gas was still operating. Stayed due to elderly neighbor on oxygen)

Thread Information