Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nothing motivates like a hoarder

That seems to be common now, Selah. I think back to the pioneer times, and how basic the inside of the homes looked. I saw photos of Laura Ingalls Wilder's home, and it looked small, but very neat. They had what they needed, and that's it. When my mom and dad came to visit me, my mom said, "Your house feels so much bigger!" I had done a lot of the space clearing. Now I value space over things.

Awakened soul, I agree with you. I am now focused on having sufficient supplies for optimum functionality, and "enoughness." For example, having adequate (for me) kitchen and home office supplies on hand means a lower-stress life, even if it is more "stuff." Having a variety of clothing means I have the tools to present myself confidently and appropriately, according to the occasion. So I don't identify myself as a "minimalist," but more of a "functionalist," I suppose! The devil is in the details, though---finding that golden mean of "enoughness," when it can so EASILY (for me) slip into endless accumulation of gazingus pins, is the trick.

Plus, having extremely limited storage space is a great help--it's useful to provide physical boundaries in one's environment that support non-accumulation. I am much less sentimental about keeping old clothing around, for example, when I realize that if I do keep them, I can't have the fun of wearing something new (to me, of course--almost always second-hand!). From having my own walk-in closet in Boca Raton, FL (which my mother-in-law tsk'd tsk'd at because I didn't have nice enough, or just plain ENOUGH clothes and shoes and handbags for her taste), to one half of one wardrobe here (DH gets the other half) in Israel, it's a big push to keep it simple!

GreenMama, you do have a tough job on your hands, I wish you strength as tackle your Mum's stuff. I can see why that would motivate you to pare your own belongings while you can. It's a shame that sometimes a negative example is more inspiring than a positive one but I have noticed this too.

TxZen
    Thanks to all of you. It's been a soul searching/cleansing exercise if anything. I am headed back to Texas and all I am taking is a folder with old pictures in it to make copies. My sister tried to give me my mom's old doll and some wall hangings (which I don't even think are from our family anywho) and I told her put them in a box and send them to me. I will donate them. I have no interest but she freaked when I said no.

This has really inspired me, in some strange way, to really ramp up my business and my approach.

Interesting thread!

Thread Information