Page 86 of 90 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Thread: Iris lilies, how are things in your hood?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I'm glad to hear that's not how you handle things, Bae, I do respect you for this much. Rob
    Rob - nobody handles things that way, unless they are insane. I've worked in really really bad places before, and what you describe does not happen generally, *unless there is more to the story*. You can reason out why if you put your mind to it.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Rob - nobody handles things that way, unless they are insane. I've worked in really really bad places before, and what you describe does not happen generally, *unless there is more to the story*. You can reason out why if you put your mind to it.
    This is how things took place, Bae. I don't know what else to tell you. All I can say is that I sure will never see America the same way again - it even ruined seasonal work in the sticks for me. I guess the good thing here though is now something horrible can happen and I'm the one person who won't be at all surprised.....such as Ferguson to get back to this thread. I'm amazed that cauldron there simmered and brewed as long as it did before erupting - this truly does surprise me. Rob

PS Something I don't believe you are grasping here, Bae - those who are reputed to be the "good guys" by society? Are sometimes the people you need to be the most afraid of. Ironically, I do thank America for teaching me this and I only wish I would have learned this one younger.....it doesn't say much for me growing up as I did that I didn't. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Seriously? Talk to a therapist.
    Ummmm.....how about the police behave in accordance with the law? Too much to ask for, Bae? How about pointing the fingers back at law enforcement and having the courage to question them for just one split second? I have faith you can do this if you try.....Rob

I do thank America for teaching me this and I only wish I would have learned this one younger.....it doesn't say much for me growing up as I did that I didn't. Rob
    I thought you'd told us dozens and dozens of times that you learned to hate America and those you deemed to be "upper classes" by the time you were 13.

Seriously, I think it's past time to take a break from this thread. An emotional rant as long as this one can't be good for anyone.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Rob - I have never argued that all police are good, or even that they should be given the benefit of the doubt. I have simply suggested that we follow the law, and examine the facts.

As to "grasping" things - I have lived and worked in places that I suspect would cause you, Rob, to curl up in a little ball in the back of your clothes closet whimpering for your mommy I have seen first hand violence by government actors that would sicken your soul. I have seen private individuals engaged in truly horrific behavior. Yet I don't fear going out in the world, or interacting with other people, because I do not judge all people of a certain profession, culture, race, language group, sex, nationality, or whatnot, by the actions of the deranged.

Ummmm.....how about the police behave in accordance with the law? Too much to ask for, Bae? How about pointing the fingers back at law enforcement and having the courage to question them for just one split second? I have faith you can do this if you try.....Rob
    Rob -

I have testified in open court against police officers in cases involving use of force. So don't question my courage, laddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I thought you'd told us dozens and dozens of times that you learned to hate America and those you deemed to be "upper classes" by the time you were 13.

Seriously, I think it's time to take a break from this thread. One rant as long as this one can't be good for anyone.
    I agree. we've gone from concern for Iris Lilies to a twisted version of the last episode of Seinfeld.

Who was it said that history starts as tragedy and ends as farce?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Seriously, I think it's past time to take a break from this thread. An emotional rant as long as this one can't be good for anyone.
    I didn't learn this about the police until I was older. But I agree that taking a breather here is a good idea.....as others have said, I'm not going to change anyone's mind here. Or vice-versa. Rob

Okay, it's still going on, isn't it? GimmeeTSL vs Everyone. I ain't gonna argue the point here--just have a couple of stories to share that are relevant and that's it. Okay, I made my weekly trip into the locally-owned bent n' dent that handles overstocks, outdated stuff, and whatever, culled from several warehouses in town. The employees there--they've worked there for years and years. Anyway, there was this individual wandering around in there, looking around, a very tall black guy in his 40's. He was mumbling to himself about the time I crossed paths with him, and one of the stock clerks, a smallish white lady in her 50's asked him if he needed any assistance in finding anything. Well, sometimes I've got to ask them, because the place is chock full of stuff. Anyway, this guy started kind of a rant, not in a loud voice, kind of directed at the stock clerk. The guy headed for the door, kind of in a rant as he went. Apparently, he said something that she did not like, and she went out there, held the door open, and told him not to come back again, or they would call the po-lice. She let the door shut outside, and I commented to the cashier that I felt that other lady was taking a risk in confronting that guy, and she agreed. The guy got on his bike, which was one of those cheapy "beach cruisers" that you see the indigent types riding. Anyway he left, and I am glad he did. A couple years ago, in the same place, there was a guy, a 30-ish black male asking for gas money---said he was parked at a gas station, stranded. So, I gave him a few dollars on the condition that he head on out of there, right away. Which he did. Don't mind helping someone out, if they aren't making begging a vocation. See? Today, while in the store, the local newspaper headlines announced a $770,000 settlement to be paid out to a suspect who ran from the police, when the officer(an eleven year veteran)attempted to take him into custody for outstanding warrants in front of a grocery store, where he was panhandling, over on the east side of town. The suspect was a 20-ish white male, who had numerous arrests for burglary and theft, and a history of mental disease. But, the cop played the game wrong, and in the chase that ensued got over-aroused and shot the guy in the far lower back. The kid did survive, and his attorney says he incurred more than $200,000 in hospital bills. So, the city negotiated an out of court settlement, in which 1)The taxpayers(not an insurer)will pay out the 770,000., and 2)The cop resigns, pleads guilty to an assault charge with a suspended sentence, and the condition that he not hold another law-enforcement job. My opinion is, the cop definitely shouldn't have shot the stupid kid, and the stupid kid shouldna run. The settlement was fair, except that the kid shouldn't profit financially from a situation for which he bears some culpability. It wasn't just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yes, the cop is fired, punished within reason, and that is good. Don't need trigger-happy cops. The kid still has to go to court for being a no-show on one of his burglary charges. If Justice prevails, the judge will sentence the young punk to prison(since he's a repeat offender), and then order him to reimburse the state for the cost of his trial and incarceration, thus negating his ill-gotten gain. I have no problem with the public paying for his hospital stay, even though the amount was outrageous. Of course, the shyster--er--attorney will no doubt get HIS share, won't he? This is kind of an unusual outcome for this town, as I stated previously in this thread, but since the incident occurred just this May, and the settlement was announced very recently, it makes me think that the Ferguson Case and the Albequerque case, and several other highly-publicized police shootings around the nation, may have influenced it. Discuss amongst yourselves.
    Last edited by Packy; 10-3-14 at 10:34pm.

Packy, with all due respect I am bowing out of this thread. I have nothing new to add and to participate at this point in my case would be to be playing a broken record. I will also skip participating when news arrives if there is an indictment or not as everyone here by now knows my stance as to this and I have no surprises to offer on this one. Pretty much I've covered this one over and over and up and down and all around - time to bail. Rob

Thread Information