Thread: Bone Density Scan and T-score

Bone Density Scan and T-score

For those of you who have had bone density scans and specifically the Achilles heel scan (ultrasound), how much credence do you put in the T-score? I had one yesterday and the score was vastly different in one foot compared to the other. The person doing the scan remarked that she had never seen that much difference before, so she did another of one foot and they were closer but still varied by a good amount. She recommended I start taking calcium as well as eating calcium rich foods. My body just does not tolerate calcium supplements, or the ones I have tried to date anyway. I do weight bearing exercise and try to eat calcium rich foods and would have liked to had a better score.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I had a couple of bone density scans but of my back, shoulders and hips I think. I don't know how accurate they are but my bone density increased a huge amount over the past year or 2 once I started to lift weights more seriously. I was running a lot back then (still do) but was thinner and probably had thinner bone density (just guessing) so maybe just the addition of more weight training made the difference. Again, just guessing.

I've not had a regular DEXA scan before, but I had one of those heel scans a few years ago. It was alarmingly low given that I am still in my 40s! I did some brief research and it seems that those heel scans are not very accurate. You might want to look at some peer-reviewed data on pubmed.com to form your own opinion.

Can you find an endocrinologist who has expertise in bone density issues to discuss the results with?

I get these scans every year and am constantly concerned about this--but have not had that area scanned. I did just see a significant improvement in spine/hip area density over 2 years ago, and this must be from doing yoga.

Keep up with the weight bearing exercises, that will make a difference.

Thread Information