Thread: Borneo and Komodo island

Borneo and Komodo island

Anyone been to either of these places? The month of September is going to be my time to research and plan this trip. This is the holy grail or bucket list trip for us. It costs way too much to take a tour from the US so have been researching and looking at ways to do it ourselves. Thought I would ask my frugal friends for words of wisdom. Thanks!!

This would be my ultimate vacation. Have only gotten as close as Thailand.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/us/borneo
    http://www.imaginative-traveller.com...t-asia/borneo/

We have taken two trips with Imaginative out of the UK. Different experience from American type tours. We went to India and Egypt. What I like is the amount of info and levels of amenities on the different trips.

I have found that the Commonweath country citizens travel far wider than Americans and therefore have some pretty interesting tour groups.

I also found Gecko Tours out of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    ways to do it ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    This would be my ultimate vacation. Have only gotten as close as Thailand.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/us/borneo
    http://www.imaginative-traveller.com...t-asia/borneo/

We have taken two trips with Imaginative out of the UK. Different experience from American type tours. We went to India and Egypt. What I like is the amount of info and levels of amenities on the different trips.

I have found that the Commonweath country citizens travel far wider than Americans and therefore have some pretty interesting tour groups.

I also found Gecko Tours out of Australia.
    Thanks so much!!! Will check these out!

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post

DUH!

Never been but see that there are all sorts of tours that have vastly different price ranges depending on type (luxury, adventure, etc..). They seem cheaper then anyway you could do it yourself unless you want to stay in hostels or camp and do the grundgy backpacker type travel (my favorite way to go myself!). But in any case, just because of the airfare from the US, it's not cheap. Best oif you can combine it with other travel and do one longggggggg trip of several months or weeks thru out the area to maximize the cost of airfare. Once you are "there" it doesn't seem too expensive and most of the tour-type things can be done on a day trip basis. Or you can find a cheap flights (if possible) and then combine different tours of one or more day up to several days at a time (that include budget hotels or home stays, most meals and transportation) and pick different ones to suit your fancy, time frame and budget. Here's an example of one I saw that is considered a backpackers tour - meaning using public transit and budget motels - rather then more upscale tours:

Toraja Sample Package Tour

FLORES BACKPACKERS PACKAGE TOUR
    8 DAYS / 7 NIGHTS
    TOUR CODE : IGA-812

DAY 01: ARRIVAL MAUMERE
    Upon arrival in Maumere transfer directly to the hotel. Afternoon free program.

DAY 02: MAUMERE – MONI 94 km 08.00 – 11.00
    The guide will pick you up at the hotel to transfer to Maumere West Terminal then take Public Bus to Moni. The drive to Moni takes about 3 hrs. Arrival check in to your hotel. Lunch at the local restaurant. The whole afternoon maybe spent walking to the villages narby, get in touch with the locals, visit their homes and comprehend their daily lives.

DAY 03: MONI – KELIMUTU 13 km 04.00 – 09.00 – ENDE 55 km 11.00 – 13.00
    Take a chartered car to reach the crater lakes of Kelimutu. It is worth to experience the sunrise at Kelimutu – the three colored crater lakes. You will begin your day early in the morning (start at about 4.00 o’clock). Once you arrive in Kelimutu you will find yourself something like nowhere, incomparable with known told stories – photos or even moving pictures you have seen before. After admiring the ature wonder drive back to Moni to oard regular public bus to Ende. Lunch at the local restaurant. Spend your afternoon explore the town, visit exile House of Mr. Sukarno – world famous first Indonesian President. The beach of Ende is black; it is good to be thre at around sun set.

DAY 04: ENDE – BAJAWA 125 km 08.00 – 12.00 Afternoon visit SoA 22 km one way
    Take public bus to Bajawa. Arrival Bajawa check in and lunch at local restaurant. Afternoon visit Soa area with chartered local public transport. Soa is known for the traditional villages and hot water spring. Visit Masu village with its Loka amongst dense bamboo forest. Loka is a drinking place outside of the village next to the palm trees where the wine is tabbed. Men come at the late afternoon for drinking and stayd until night. Drive then to Mengeruda to spent the last hours of the afternoon at the hot spring.

DAY 05: BAJAWA – RUTENG 137 km 11.00 – 16.00 Morning visit Wogo and Bena
    Bajawa is located in the heart of Ngadha ethnic civilization, which is known for the megalithic cultures. There are traditional villages furnished with stone monuments, ancestor worship shrines and Adat Houses. The hamlets are beautifully settled in the volcanic mountainous area. The most beautiful ones are Wogo and Bena. Very early in the morning visit those villages by chartered car and in the afternoon take bus to Ruteng. Afternoon visit Cara village by public transport about 25 km away – a place where Lingko – the typical rice fields located.

DAY 06: RUTENG – LABUAN BAJO 133 km 07.00 – 12.00 LABUAN BAJO – RINCA about 2 – 3,5 hrs
    Take the first public bus to Labuan Bajo. Lunch at local restaurant and then transfer to harbor to take boat to Rinca. Upon arrival start trekking to trace the dragons. Late afternoon take boat to the small island nearby for swimming. (Or the captain may decide to sail directly to Komodo). Overnight on board.

DAY 07: RINCA – KOMODO – LABUAN BAJO
    Early in the morning take a short trek to Banunggulung – the former feeding ground to trace the dragons in the island. On return to Labuan Bajo stop at Pantai Merah or Pink colored sand bach with crystal clear water and beautiful coral garden with plenty of tropical coral fishes. It is a good place to swim, sun bathing and snorkeling. Stay there until late afternoon. Return then to Labuan Bajo.

DAY 08: LABUAN BAJO – NEXT DESTINATION
    Morning free program. Before check in for the flight, visit Batu Cermin – the cave with stalactite and stalagmite.

~~~ End of Tour Program ~~~

Thread Information