Thread: Mount Constitution Ride....

Mount Constitution Ride....

I didn't place this thread under "exercise" for two reasons: 1) This is not really an "exercise" routine, for the most part; If you need exercise, it's too soon to even think about this. 2)Most people hate exercise, anyway, unless it's faux-fitness. There is a quasi "bike club" back near the small town in the Heartland where I lived for awhile. The agenda for the monthly meeting goes like this: Meet, at 7 pm. at the Barbeque Joint. Ride around town for a little while, meet back at the Barbeque Joint at 7:15 for the Meeting. Adjourn meeting at 7:30--order BBQ and pitchers of beer. So, the biking is just for show--the eating and drinking is the main event. Anyway, I ran across the Constitution Mountain bike ride, and another route that runs around Orcas Island, on bikely aand one of the other ride-mapping sites. They are about 22 and 42 miles, respectively. They have lots and LOTS of elevation gain, going up that hill, but according to various accounts, the scenery is spectacular, and traffic is low. An old, old geezer like myself(or just about anyone, for that matter) should have a "triple", and a wide-range cassette, which I do. Most out of the box, bike-shop "road bikes", especially the older ones, are geared with close, high-speed ,"tri-bike" gearing, because that's what the 20-something wannabee-racers expect, and the rest of the consumers don't know what they want--oh yeah--comfort. Ha. Anyway, I had been looking at going up Mount Evans in Colorado, because it is one-day out there driving distance; but that is problematic; due to several factors, not the least of which is altitude change--14k feet! and unpredictable weather. Plus, it's just an uphill grind, with a fair amount of vehicular traffic, too. But, it's not ruled out, entirely. Orcas, is in a VERY remote part of the Northwest--almost to Canada! Don't know if Greyhound/Trailways/Amtrak even runs there! But, the place is inhabited, so it shouldn't be hard to find a grocery store that handles "Chef Boy-ar-Dee" products. Anyway, discuss amongst yourselves.
    Last edited by Packy; 8-15-14 at 5:45pm.

OK, I'll bite..

I have been thinking of getting a bike lately. I haven't been on one for years but our area has some wonderful bike trail/paths that are fairly level and smooth (for a rusty biker like myself) where you don't have to fight car traffic. I do look at those multi-geared bikes where you practically lay down to ride them and I think, OK, not so much! Maybe my best bet would be to buy a used older bike. Certainly to start. But it IS exercise. I think pretty good exercise and social too if that's what you want. A nice bike ride in the country, including a picnic along the way would be good for body and mind I think.
    Now I think I'm going to have to start looking for a good used bike on Craig's List...

As I suspect Packy knows, I live on Mt. Constitution, on Orcas.

I would not recommend the roads on this island for the casual biker, they are narrow, there is no shoulder, there are limited sight lines, there is a fair bit of traffic, some of it wide agricultural implements, and in the tourist season the traffic is mostly people unfamiliar with the roads looking at the scenery and not the road, etc. etc. The road up Mt. Constitution itself would be a very very poor choice for most bicyclists, especially during the busy season - bicycle to Moran park, camp there, and hike up the trails, or use the mountain bike trails instead, you'll be happier.

Lopez Island offers lovely scenery too, and has far better roads for this sort of thing.

This does not of course stop several bicycle tour companies from bringing in hundreds of bicyclists at a time, and turning them loose on the roads here to see if they will survive. I assume they get paid up-front.

Getting here is easy by bicycle - if you can get to Anacortes, take the ferry over - the bicycle rates are much lower than the car rate - and camp and have a good time. Just be mindful on the roads, I hate scraping people off them.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    OK, I'll bite..

I have been thinking of getting a bike lately. I do look at those multi-geared bikes where you practically lay down to ride them and I think, OK, not so much! Maybe my best bet would be to buy a used older bike. Certainly to start. But it IS exercise. I think pretty good exercise and social too if that's what you want. A nice bike ride in the country, including a picnic along the way would be good for body and mind I think.
    Now I think I'm going to have to start looking for a good used bike on Craig's List...
    Right, right Peggy. Trails, the old railbed trails, are good for the novice. No steep grades to contend with. No vehicular traffic. I think Riding 10-12 mph on gravel approximately equals the exertion of 20+, on pavement, all else being equal. Recumbents have their niche' in cycling, but can't say I'd recommend them for the beginner, unless your heart is set on one. They, are like learning to ride all over again, due to different weight distribution & handling characteristics, and getting used to it. Plus, they're pricey. Some long-distance(touring) riders favor them. They have the reputation of being "slow", and for the most part it's true. But some recumbent configurations & their riders are NOT Slow--the higher off the ground & larger wheel models are built for speed; the low-seating position models seem to travel at a snails' pace. One other thing--some newbies perception is that upright, straight-across handlebars(as opposed to drops) with a wide super-padded seat and upright seating position will solve their comfort issues. Bike marketers have identified this "need", and met it. Those bikes are comfy--for the first few blocks. Then, they end up in the garage, long term. Big, thick saddles cause chafing, and sitting bolt upright places too much weight on the "seat". Straight across handlebars limit handholds. If your hands & wrists are palms down/knuckles up, they will quickly fatigue. S'why you need drop bars with brake lever hoods, as handrests, that support part of your body weight. Yes, a multi-speed bike is necessary, though single-speed or beach cruiser faddists will tell you otherwise. It's the Right Tool for the job, vs having pliers, duct tape & a claw hammer. Used bikes are plentiful, but the deal that is right for you, takes some shopping. Bike fit is very important---I see these street people out on their bikes--and it's usually a case of an adult riding a bike made for a grade-school child. I spose, if they're just going down to the nearby Hit N' Run Convenience store for some smokes, it will suffice....hope that helps you some.

Well it does help, a little bit. I'd like to be able to ride between 5 and 10 miles comfortably. I do want it to be exercise, but I'm not looking to train for racing or cross country. Recumbent bikes confuse me. Mind you i haven't ever ridden one, but I would think it would be more difficult to do. I mean, your core is better positioned to exert 'strength', if you will, in a more 'squatting' position rather than a laying down one. (My experience is limited to child birth where you need that core strength focused on the 'lower' parts, so to speak. But I was more talking about the bikes where you lean forward so much to reach the handles that you are practically lying on your belly. Maybe there is one somewhat in between lying down and sitting straight up. Maybe where you slightly lean forward.

Bae, I know what you mean. There are so many wonderful bike paths and back roads around here, yet some insist on riding on the twisted country highway we live off of. A highway with many blind curves and no shoulder what so ever. (this highway reminds me of roads in Germany in fact) It's especially frustrating since this area spends so much time/money in walking/biking/hiking trails/paths to make sure the area is pedestrian friendly. So many times I've come around a blind curve upon a biker, or even hikers and I just want to stop and say, "Are you crazy?! What is Wrong with you?"

I live close enough to Mt. Constitution (a neighboring island called Whidbey) that I've ridden up it several times. I've also ridden up several mountain passes, including 12,000 foot Independence Pass in Colorado. Getting up takes good low gears, like those that are on touring bikes. Getting down is overlooked. Brakes. Brakes! Some of those rides are so steep that conventional brakes overheat. Bad time for brakes to break.

One trick I used for Constitution was to ride very early in the day. I'd stay at a B&B, get up early, ride up and down, all before breakfast. May be one of the few ways to justify how much I ate there.

One very nice thing about Mt. Constitution: the view. Climb a mountain pass and get nice views, but invariably some of it is blocked by - surprise - mountains. Mt. Constitution is a ride to the top of an island. Everything is below you. Gee, I just realized how much I enjoyed those trips. Ah, some day, some day again.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrimbath View Post
    I live close enough to Mt. Constitution (a neighboring island called Whidbey) that I've ridden up it several times. I've also ridden up several mountain passes, including 12,000 foot Independence Pass in Colorado. Getting up takes good low gears, like those that are on touring bikes. Getting down is overlooked. Brakes. Brakes! Some of those rides are so steep that conventional brakes overheat. Bad time for brakes to break.

One trick I used for Constitution was to ride very early in the day. I'd stay at a B&B, get up early, ride up and down, all before breakfast. May be one of the few ways to justify how much I ate there.

One very nice thing about Mt. Constitution: the view. Climb a mountain pass and get nice views, but invariably some of it is blocked by - surprise - mountains. Mt. Constitution is a ride to the top of an island. Everything is below you. Gee, I just realized how much I enjoyed those trips. Ah, some day, some day again.
    Thanks, this is very good information! Everyone here ought to be VERY impressed that you did this bike ride! It's about 1800 miles away, and further than is practical, for me. But, if I lived in the Northwest, I'd check it out.
    Last edited by Packy; 8-22-14 at 12:02pm.

I love Mt Constitution although I've never biked up it (hiked though). I think that area of the country is one of the most beautiful places in the world and a great place to bike ride - road or mountain. Although as Bae said, I think some of the roads might be difficult for newer riders. The flatter areas around Anacortes, La Conner (tourist central but oh so cute!) and the area would be great road biking. Bellingham and the road down Hwy 11 (Chuckanut Drive) is a good road bike ride as well. I'm jealous of you guys that have great wooded trails and bike paths near by. Nothing like that here except paved paths along the beach or concrete rivers. Do have lots of great but very steep mountain biking paths in the local mountains. Peggy - you might want to check out this site http://www.railstotrails.org/index.html to see what's near by - although it sounds like you know most already. I would love to be able to do some of those myself someday. Especially with the dog since she freaks out in traffic and a nice path thru the carless woods would be .... awesome! Working on it in mini-touring but nothing big yet. Am massively impressed with Terimbath's ride up Independence Pass. Crazy...but in a good way :-)! I'm always impressed by bike tourers - and envious too. Wanna do it too. And of course Gary (AKA Simply GIB) just finished a his umpteenth long bike tour (this time thru Oregon to Calif along the western Cascades and Sierras - Mt Shasta, etc...) and has tormented me with gloat photos. Ah paybacks :-)!

There are some great trails around here. For biking, walking, jogging, whatever. They are old railroad lines and one, the MKT, links up with the Katy trail.
    Great link Spartana, by the way. I'll have to book mark that one.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    There are some great trails around here. For biking, walking, jogging, whatever. They are old railroad lines and one, the MKT, links up with the Katy trail.
    Great link Spartana, by the way. I'll have to book mark that one.
    I just googled the MKT trail and now am even MORE jealous!! Looks so nice and peaceful. Wish we had more like that around here. Have been plotting on a map a long off road bike route I can do along the Katy (or some other) trail with my dog in tow and the MKT might be something to add into that mix. Once all that area is done with it's torrential rain, massive heat waves, and all that flooding. Ah... the mid-west, a nice place to visit...sometimes :-)!

Thread Information