Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I'm going to try going car free

Williamsmith
    I've thought about it...but I'm solidly entrenched in my love affair with my truck. I posted somewhere else that I have owned 17 vehicles in my lifetime.....well I actually forgot one so make it 18. If you figure just taxes and transfer charges alone....that is probably 15,000 dollars. I live in the frigid northeast where snow is on the ground a good five months of the year. No way I could go without a vehicle. But I'll keep thinking about the freedom of no gas bill and insurance.

I absolutely love riding my bike! It just makes me happy. When I have to drive it just isn't the same. Biking is fun and driving is a necessity at times.

It's great hearing about everyone's biking, public transportation, and driving experiences. I am two weeks post op. I will start using the stationary bike with no weight for PT soon. I wonder if I will ride my bike for transportation again? I'm still not able to drive for a few more weeks, so I have Dial a Ride.

Going car free was great, but I have to admit I feel relieved to have my red Beetle parked in the driveway.

I have a biking question: does the type of bike you have make a huge difference? I know that sounds sort of stupid, of course it makes a difference. But I used to ride everywhere on my 25 pound racing bike, back in the 80's, and unless I was on a serious uphill, it felt zippy ... productive. The bike I have now weighs much more, with bigger tires and a wide seat, sort of mountain bike styling. Although it's a decent quality bike, it seems like pedaling a mastodon down the street, as if I could just about run faster than I can make it go. 2 miles to the grocery store, uphill both ways.

Do you think it's the bike? Or am I just ... sigh ... old?

I think it's the bike.

I ride one of these:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D=2500&PC=APPL

Everything else feels heavy and difficult now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I think it's the bike.

I ride one of these:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...D=2500&PC=APPL

Everything else feels heavy and difficult now.
    Very cool little bike! I had a folding bike before but it was heavy, quite large, and still hard to lug around. I eventually sold it because it was so awkward.

The bike I have now I got for $50. A friend was going to sell it on Craigslist and I swooped in and got it when he found out I was looking for a bike.

A week after I got it I was in a fairly minor "frame re-arranger." The settlement got me about $300 or so to put into it. So I gussied it up with a new seat and such, and some lights. It is a Diamondback Topanga -- nothing fancy or professional. But I like it and it was affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I have a biking question: does the type of bike you have make a huge difference?
    Yes. My first bike was a Schwinn Suburban, which I am almost positive was made of cast iron. Big heavy thing -- but it was almost indestructible. When I got out of college and was putting more miles on a bike, I bought an aluminum-alloy Trek touring bike. The test ride alone felt like moving from a Chevy Suburban to a Porsche. I can't imagine slogging the Schwinn up some of the hills I tackled on the Trek. Yeah, maybe some of it is age. But a heavy bike -- it's like a heavy camera tripod. The weight doesn't seem to matter much until you're moving it all. the. time.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have a bike collection problem Sure it matters what type bike you are riding and for what purpose/ground riding on/weather ect. If these did not matter I would not be checking the weather and wind report before I go to bed at night so I can plan tomorrow's ride and where I am going.

I had a mountain bike and still have a beach cruiser. I noticed the mountain bike was much easier to lift on to the bus bike racks than the beach cruiser. I was looking at those fold up bikes, too. I almost bought one. I thought it'd be nice to take with me on train trips. That way I could bike to my dad's from the train station. The ones I liked were pretty expensive, though.

Thread Information