Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to try going car free

I hit enter before I was done and can't edit on this laptop. Anyway, I think it's a great thing. I'd love to live in an area I could go car-free....the stress of teaching the kids to drive and the one kid totaling one of our trucks....the kids wish we lived in a car-free area too. At some point I'll have to give up driving due to the macular degeneration......and I won't mind. I'm so tired of driving.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I know what you mean, Float On. I love sitting on the bus, looking out the window, and having someone else drive. It's like a luxury to me. I guess we're all going to have to give up driving at some point. I feel like this huge load of responsibility has been lifted. I've been reading some articles about people in LA who are car free. They're really funny. Some people get kind of like ex smokers on a crusade. I don't want to be like that. I loved my little car. It was so loyal and trustworthy.
    I have a feeling this car free thing is going to stick. If this is an El Nino year like they're predicting, I'll have to walk from the bus to the gym instead of biking. It's not far, though.

Thanks for the info on the dog food. I priced flat bed bike trailers. I feel bad paying for packaging. My friend on the bus who is car free said that Costco ships all kinds of things for free. Lots of options...

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    I know what you mean, Float On. I love sitting on the bus, looking out the window, and having someone else drive. It's like a luxury to me. I guess we're all going to have to give up driving at some point. I feel like this huge load of responsibility has been lifted. I've been reading some articles about people in LA who are car free. They're really funny. Some people get kind of like ex smokers on a crusade. I don't want to be like that. I loved my little car. It was so loyal and trustworthy.
    I have a feeling this car free thing is going to stick. If this is an El Nino year like they're predicting, I'll have to walk from the bus to the gym instead of biking. It's not far, though.

Thanks for the info on the dog food. I priced flat bed bike trailers. I feel bad paying for packaging. My friend on the bus who is car free said that Costco ships all kinds of things for free. Lots of options...
    Going by Bus, can be a great way to travel! It's just that it isn't mainstream in the USA, everyone's got to get out and DRIVE like crazy; the two major buslines have had to consolidate. I like buses waaaay better than air travel. Train would be good, too.

Yes, especially in LA. In some of the blogs I'm reading, people's cars die and they still owe money on them! Can you imagine? That would be a lousy feeling. It's what spurred some of them to try the bus and the Metro. Our trains have a pass that you can buy for $10.00. It's good to go anywhere in LA all weekend. I think if I want to go see a show, I'll buy the train pass and see a matinee. The red line stops a block from The Pantages Theater.

The next hurdle is filling up my 5 gallon water bottles and getting them home. I have very old galvanized pipes, and our water isn't safe for drinking. I asked a lady on the bus where she got her cart. "Office Max", she answered. It looks like the perfect size to hold one of my large water bottles.

I just got a PM asking me what I do if the bike rack on the bus is full. That did happen to me once. I waited for the next bus. That rack was also loaded, but since it was the last bus of the evening, the driver let me bring my bike inside the bus. It hasn't happened since, but I'm the first stop on our bus line. The bus racks here hold two or three bicycles. I have a headlight and tail light, and can ride home, as well. Bicyclists all seems to be pretty easy going. We can usually work it out between us. One guy might say, "I'll ride up the street and take the #6, or ride home." Fortunately, I don't have to take the bus home late at night anymore. It got kind of cold by 10:00 p.m. Now I can use the bus on the off times, when it's not as busy.

Oddball, That's a great idea, thanks! My electricity bill is only about $11.00 per month. It goes up if I run the air conditioner. I think I'll order the one that you have. I'd rather not haul water jugs...

Quote Originally Posted by awakenedsoul View Post
    My car just died. I bought it in 2005 for $6,000. It was a used 2004 Kia Rio from Enterprise. My brother is a district manager there, so I got a discount. Last year I put a new engine in it. The mechanic recommended it, but I see now it was a mistake. They're not built to last. Anyway, I've decided to try going car free. I have a bus pass and bicycle. I use them most of the time, anyway. I figure I can rent a car if I need to go to an audition, stock up at Costco, or take a trip. If it doesn't work out, I'll buy another used car. It's a weird feeling to have an empty driveway...I've had a car since I was 17.
    Good luck Awakenedsoul. I think that is "awesome" and something that most in the L.A. metro area would find hard to do. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. I'd also love to go car-free but tried it here and find it too hard. But do generally ride my bike most days rather than drive but it's a challenge for sure! You rock even trying it!!

Also for hauling on your bike you might want to get a bike trailer. I have one that is for 2 kids (up to 100 pounds) that I got at Costco (but you can find then used on Craigslist, Ebay or at Play It Again Sports). I used it for my crippled dogs (had 2 at different times each about 50 - 75 pounds) and it worked great. On my second one now and use it to haul my stuff to "sort-of" bike tour with my smaller dog (who rides in a basket on the handlebars). You can really haul a lot with them easily on a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    On bike trailers, they are great. I'd probably have one if I had room to park it.
    My bike trailers completely fold up. The wheels have quick releases so just pop off, and front-thingie you hook to the bike folds backwards and the bike frame just folds flat. Takes about 2 minutes or less to put together or take apart. Since they are so narrow and small when folded up, they can just fit into a small space at home.

Spartana, Thanks. I just bought a bike trailer yesterday. It's on order. I did some research. I decided to get one that converts into a shopping cart. That way I can take it on the bus. (I usually use the bus and bike together.) The initial highway stretch where I live makes me nervous on the bike. People are going 50 miles and hour, and the bike lane is narrow and sometimes there are cars parked in it. The bus feels safer. Once I'm a mile in, the bike paths are completely free of cars, and you don't even have to cross the streets at the crosswalk. It's a really bike friendly city. The trailer I got is made by Burley. (If I remember the name correctly.) It's very well designed. It's $300.00. The guy in the ad in using it for a guitar, and he's riding in city traffic all dressed up to play a concert. It won an award in Europe for the design. It folds up to the size of a briefcase. I'm really excited about it.
    Yesterday the chain came off my "new" used bike again. I fell off the bike, but landed softly on the grass. I think the seat is way too high. I wasn't hurt, just felt like a klutz. Fortunately, I kept my old bike, so I used that as a back up this morning. I'm going to take the beach cruiser to the bike shop tomorrow, (by bus,) and find out why the chain keeps coming off. I'll have the seat adjusted, too. I think I'll feel a lot more secure when my feet can reach the ground without straining. On my mountain bike I lowered the seat and I feel a lot more grounded.
    Yeah, if I can do this in LA, it will really save me money. The main thing I do is try to get my errands done early, before it's too hot. The trailer will be ideal for the dog food and groceries. Also, I tried, and I can fit one of my 5 gallon water jugs in my huge bicycle backpack. I'll refill one of those tomorrow. The bus stops right across the street from the water store...

Burly trailers are the best! A bit expensive but really well designed and last forever. Plus they make all sort of designs to suit various needs. I love that you're folds up so small (post a photo of it if you can or a link to it it). I've been looking at a single width (i.e. very narrow) with just one wheel bike trailer to tour with and Burly makes quite a few of those. Plan to go check out Play It Again Sports as they always have lots of used ones for sale at pretty low prices but are usually like the one I have - a 2 child bike trailer that is wide and has 2 wheels that also convert to a buggy you can push. I used the trailer more often as a buggy back when I had large crippled dogs who couldn't walk far, but now I can just get a small compact one.

Thread Information