Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Grocery Expense

Monthly Grocery Expense

Hi all,
    I would like to get your feedback as to what you think is a reasonable monthly budget for groceries (does not include eating out), but does include dog food for miniature poodle, paper products, etc.

I am 70 years old, live alone in SoCal, do some entertaining mostly with my family for dinner once a week. Food prices are so high right now - I am amazed.

Anyway, would love to hear from you guys.

Linda

Well, I try to stick with a food budget of (and this is for two):

$370/basic food
    $100 splurge food

The rationale for splitting this out is that I figure I can always cut the "splurge food" out. This category is stuff like take-out pizza, candy from the convenience store, etc.

$370 is derived from the food stamp allowance for two in my area, so that's what I strive for. I don't always get there, but only because I might be lazy that month. Otherwise, it's totally doable, and even with organic, local food.

If I were single, and really tried to keep things tight, I KNOW I could do $200 pretty easily, as I rarely eat meat, and I'm definitely not a "foodie" and I also don't have a need for things like beverages. I drink filtered water out of my refrigerator, or I might make iced tea from tea bags.

Of course, if I were entertaining once a week, I'd allocate that to "entertainment," not "food."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Single and kidless and spend about $30 - $50/week on food for myself. An additional $10/week for my small dog. Probably average about $200 - $250/month for all food not counting eating out or entertaining (at home or out).

I'm single and love to eat good food! I shop at Costco, which has helped me spend less. Last year I budgeted $60.00 a week for food for myself and my two German shepherds. At the end of the year, I came in at $1,000. under budget. I also grow a lot of fruits and vegetables. I belong to Abundant Harvest Organic co op. I get a box from them every two to three weeks. That might help your food budget. They're in LA.

When I was younger I was spending $100.00 a week on groceries! I would get all the treats at Trader Joe's. I bought the dogs a lot of treats, too. Now I bake my bread, cookies, dog biscuits, etc...I buy the ingredients in bulk. I eat grass fed and organic meat and chicken, which is pricey. My budget also includes things like shampoo, baking soda, white vinegar, trash bags, and other stuff that I buy at Costco.

I use the USDA Cost of Food at Home numbers to guide my budget; I allow us the "Thrifty" amount since we don't eat meat, eggs, or dairy. Then I tack on $100 for performance foods that my guys use when biking (I am working this number down). I don't include dog food numbers in my grocery budget as it just doesn't make sense to me unless one is preparing the animals' food from purchased groceries. I don't include paper products either, although in our case that is only toilet paper. I don't include cleaners (I prefer to make cleaners) as that isn't part of feeding us.

For a single woman aged 70 the thrifty plan allows $164.60 per month, or $38 per week. In your situation I would probably increase my budget to $200 per month to accommodate cooking for the family once a week. I imagine an additional $40 per month should cover dog food, paper products, and cleaners. I'd probably call it $250 and leave it there.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publication...oodJun2014.pdf

I spend about $200/mo. I am single and feed my family(3 more adults and a child) a couple of times a month. That included everything-groceries and eating out. I get a basket from bountiful baskets at least once a month and usually 2 times. I do eat meat and watch the sale bins for most of it.

I have a westie who required a special diet, food and treats for him are about $50/mo and he's worth every cent, lol.

I have no idea what we spend... but we tend to eat cheap, having rice and beans as our staples, supplemented with lots of eggs, cheese, vegetables and fruit.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I wanted to add I still waste food. It bothers me, but I can't seem to get it together so I don't. This morning I threw out some cherries, what a waste.

Thank you all so much for your inspirational replies. Boy, I am going to have to watch my spending. I have never paid attention to what I spend on groceries, but lately I have noticed that every time I go to Trader's or Ralphs I am spending at least $40.00. I am now retired and on a fixed income so grocery spending has become crucial. I use a cash-back credit card for all purchases so earlier this month I totaled what I had spent on groceries for the first 13 days of August - a whopping $243!!! I could not believe it. Now granted, I do have some meat and cheese and canned goods, etc that will be used up during the rest of the month and even into Sept.

Catherine - I like the idea of looking at the "food stamp allowance" for your area. I will look into that.

Spartana - maybe I should not include entertaining in the budget, but I don't know exactly how to separate it out.

Awakenedsoul - I did have a Costco card and recently didn't renew because I wasn't eating meat for awhile. Now I am eating meat, poultry, and fish again so I probably should get a new card, although I can go with my son and use his card; though, I think Costco is one of those places where you have to be very disciplined because the merchandise is so appealing.

Kimberlyf0 - your suggestion of $250 seems very reasonable to me - now, if I can just do that!

Aqua Blue- I like the idea of the food basket. Actually, I should be going to our local farmer's market on Saturday mornings.

Gardenarian - rice and beans - just like Dave Ramsey says. It makes sense.

Again, thanks to you all for your suggestions.

Linda

Polliwog - Since you are in SoCal you might want to check out the .99 Cents Only Store. They have lots of fresh produce and dry goods and all sorts of things you'd pay double or triple for in a regular grocery store - usually for the same brands. And it's all for ...99 cents only or less :-)! Find out when fresh fruits and veggies are delivered (bread too) and go that day and stock up. Costco also has good deals since you are buying in bulk. As a single "mostly" raw foods vegan person who doesn't really entertain at home, I prefer not to buy in bulk but smaller amounts so the .99 cent only store kind of place works best for me, but if you don't need fresh foods all the time and have the storage space for extras then buying at Costco can be a good deal.

As for an entertaining budget...well like I said I don't entertain at home and don't cook so I can keep that budget item separate from my "food" money. I suppose you could do that too and just figure out the average amount you spend on entertaining/event and have that as a separate budget category. I don't track my spending anymore but have a general idea how much I spend on both my food and any thing that I would consider entertainment that included food (like buying something to take to a picnic or potluck).

Thread Information