Thread: Help me think this through please.......

Help me think this through please.......

Some things my brain just can't figure out.
    Okay.........we changed health insurance plans in July. At that time, I had met about $4,600 of my $6.000 deductible with the previous company. The new company said they would honor the deductible we had.
    Well, the new company only has a $3,000 deductible, so they honored $3,000 of that $4,600. Does that mean we just lose $1,600 of what we paid out with the other company?
    My brain is really slow with this. I guess it's irrelevant, since they're paying for everything now. But......I just can't think it through.
    Thanks for helping me understand this!

It sounds like you have met their yearly deductible under the new plan since that is the "deductible". So now, starting with the changeover, everything allowable is over the deductible (which you have met) and should be paid pursuant to the plan. doesnt mean they will go back pre July and pay when you were trying to meet the previous deductible though but new bills should be shown as after meeting the deductible on the new plan.

all this is assuming the facts presented are accurate.

I agree with sweetana3, although the only ones who can tell you for sure are the new insurers.

Sounds like the silver lining is that on a go-forward basis your out-of-pocket medical expenses will be reduced by $1,600, so you've actually got a raise in income.

Thanks sweetana and Lainey. I just couldn't understand if we lost the $1,600 or if it was compensated by a lower deductible with the new company. But like you said, we're lucky that they even accepted it.
    Thanks for your help.

Not sure how it would be "lost" if you used money to pay for services rendered.

I guess essentially the way to look at it is that this year you paid $4600 in deductible. Yes, if you had purchased the new plan back in january you'd have $1600 more in your pocket (minus copays) but you can't lose what you didn't have, and at the time you spent that $4600 you didn't have a $3,000 deductible. As long as the new plan won't cost you $1400 more during the rest of the year (through higher premiums, higher copays, etc) then you made a good decision.

Thread Information