Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: craigslist isn't working for me

craigslist isn't working for me

Craigslist used to be such a great way to de-clutter but I have had nothing but scams everytime I try to use it now. Today, I thought I was dealing with an honest person but after giving her my phone number to call to get my address along with a time to show up - nothing. Then found out that one of their many scams is to get your phone number and sell to foreigners who need one to set up an account. So frustrating as I gave up my Saturday to be here...

I'm sorry. I've not had any problems using it but one of my good friends fell for a scam in it and she ended up being out $500.00.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I like Craigslist to announce the existence of free stuff. Announcements like "There are oak chairs and a table sitting in the alley at 1900 Park Ave" and etc.

Trying to sell "stuff" to individuals in a one-on-one transaction is a sheer waste of my time. I suppose if I had a really nice piece of furniture or two, it might be worth a try, but that's about it. I'd still take it to a dealer, more than likely.

the existence of free stuff
    We just put free stuff on the curb and it disappears. Always amazes me.

Craigslist is okay, but not 100%. There are "all kinds" of people, trying to dispose of items. Recently, I spent the morning, driving to a residence in Nixa, 25+ miles from home, to take a look at some car parts a guy had left sitting in a wooden storage shed at a friends house. I arrived, but the seller wasn't there, so I called and waited 25 minutes for him to arrive. He had an attitude--"I didn't know if you was gonna show up, or what!" Well, he's the one that was tardy. Anyway, we went out to the shed, where the items were piled up. He really was lucky the friend didn't pitch his stuff, to get it out of the way, but there it was. None of it too terribly good, but I made him a generous offer for all of it, so he could consider it gone. But, while I was looking, he'd gotten a call on his cell, and he said that a buyer had said hold onto it--"I'm coming in from Tulsa(200 miles away)this weekend--and I'll buy it!" What a crock. I just turned around and walked off. A wasted trip. I see that, a week later, the car parts are still on Craigslist. Either his "buyer" didn't show, or was nonexistent in the first place, or the seller is just another one of those jerks that leave their ad on, even after their stuff is disposed of, thus wasting peoples' time in responding. But, there are good things at cheap prices to be found. Last winter, I did drive a long ways for a part; clear up by Hermitage ---for the same kind of car as above---and the ad had been on craigslist for so long that I was surprised the seller still had it. Well, I got there, and the item was in very good shape--paid the asking price. But, the seller had a pile of extra parts for the same car, including a duplicate of the one I was buying, and he threw them in with the deal! Made a good deal, much better. I've also bought a coupla project bikes on craigslist, and some parts, too. Even though, in this area, most of the CL bike stuff is junky department store kids bikes.

The last thing I sold on CL was my 2000 Durango for $2400.00 (no air, speakers blown, a few other problems, plus it only got 13mpg). I was really suprised when the first buyer showed up and had cash. No problems with that transaction at all.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    We just put free stuff on the curb and it disappears. Always amazes me.
    Same here. It's usually gone in one night. Except for the couches. I made mine a floral porch couch.

Sorry you've been having bad experiences. That was kind of my impression of Craig's List in LA. I've heard so many horror stories...

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    The last thing I sold on CL was my 2000 Durango for $2400.00 (no air, speakers blown, a few other problems, plus it only got 13mpg). I was really suprised when the first buyer showed up and had cash. No problems with that transaction at all.
    That's excellent! A nice quick, cash deal! Congratulations.

I made a very good friend when buying a couple of things from her. We first met at a Starbucks since we were strangers. Now we visit each other. Got mom a pair of maple end tables for her new apartment. I use it to check garage sale ads but most people dont put enough info on the advertisements. Sometimes they forget address or even day and time. With the cost of gas, I need more info to determine if it is a good sale for me.

Today, I thought I was dealing with an honest person but after giving her my phone number to call to get my address along with a time to show up - nothing. Then found out that one of their many scams is to get your phone number and sell to foreigners who need one to set up an account. So frustrating as I gave up my Saturday to be here...
    I'd put the odds it was a scam compared to the odds it was a flaky person vastly in favor of the flaky person theory. Because around 50% of people seem to be flaky.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information