Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Pizza....

I just discovered that Freschetta sells GF frozen pizza. At ten dollars, it costs less than half what a good GF pie costs at my local pizzeria. The crust is excellent--thin and toothsome, and with a little embellishment it's as good as many take-out pies.

Ha Ha - I just finished eating a pizza - a mushroom and spinach pizza on a pre-made crust (a whole wheat pita bread crust). It was actually pretty good.

I live in an ethnic neighborhood (Vietnamese) and there are no pizza places (or any thing but Vietnamese and French food) nearby so it's generally frozen for me. I like the little personal pan sized pizzas by Lean Cuisine (the veggie ones) as well as Freshenette's $5 pineapple and ham (doggie gets the ham) self-rising thick crust. I add a few things to it (veggies) but it's pretty good on it's own. But I usually make my own from a store bought crust and sauce as I don't like a lot of cheese. Favorite is pineapple, spinach, onion, mushroom and olive. Next favorite is Margarita. But after living in Boston for awhile, I can say that nothing beats a good North-End Pizzeria. Nothing!

Spartana - I used to work at Regina's in the North End! So you understand how I feel about gloppy doughy California pizza.

I think the Friday night trend is interesting. I wonder if this has been documented. I'm sure pizza places are aware of this new American tradition, but I'd never heard of it.

I used to make all our pizza dough in a bread making machine with olive oil, it made absolutely the best dough. Bake at a high temperature at the top of the oven and i would add some wholegrain flour to the mix and just try and make it a bit healthier where I could, less cheese, more veg, tuna instead of chicken etc.

About the Friday Night Pizza Tradition.............DH grew up with it too. We've done it forever. When the kids were little, we'd have pizza on Friday night and watch "Full House" "Perfect Strangers" and "Family Matters". It was fun!

I know we've talked about this before, but for baking home made pizza I have a piece of 1/4" plate steel that goes on either the grill or the top oven rack. It is the perfect surface for recreating thin, crunchy, charred crust that IS pizza*. On the charcoal grill it even gets some of the smoky flavor you would get if you had a real wood fired pizza oven (not so much on the gas grill, but that is faster). Being a pizza freak its probably the best $25 I've ever spent.

* The stuff with thick, bready crust isn't necessarily bad, but its an open faced sandwich masquerading as pizza.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Added: I also grew up with Friday night pizza. My hometown was so small we didn't have a pizza place until I was in high school and frozen pizzas were scarce so Mom made them with Chef Boyardee pizza kits. Crust mix, a can of sauce and a can of a cheese like product to which you added whatever you had. We thought they were great!
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Haha Gregg......yeah, we thought those were great too...........along with TV dinners and chicken pot pies!

Did you buy that steel plate as a thing that was made to bake/grill pizzas on?

I did a stupid thing once........I put a deep dish pizza pan (with a deep dish home-made pizza in it) on the charcoal grill. The pan is now black. haha the pizza wasn't bad though.
    But we do love thin and very crispy now!

The steel plate was just cut to my dimensions at the local steel yard. They are kind of a specialty house who deals with a lot of restaurant applications, which is why they have thick, stainless steel in stock. Actually, first round I had it cut big enough for the grill, but when I decided to try it in the oven it was just a little too big so I had to go back and get it trimmed up. The guys did a great job of polishing the edges for me (in return for a couple pizzas one Friday at lunch). It is 1/4" thick, grade 304 stainless steel if that helps.

Thread Information