Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you go to your high school reunions?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Do you go to your high school reunions?

I'm asking this question as I have been debating on and on and on about going to my 30th which is coming up on October 18th. I have never been to any of the reunions but a few people in my graduating class have since passed and I'm not getting any younger. This much is true. That said, I look back on high school and it was mostly a miserable and unhappy time in my life and I'm glad those years are long gone. Most of what little fun and meaning I found those years happened when I was alone and not with peers.

I've decided not to go and I've already picked up a banquet shift for that night at the Heard Museum which is a lucrative and fun event and I took this shift before I thought the dates through and it turns out that this shift is on the night of my high school reunion. So I guess in a roundabout way I made my decision as I have no desire to cancel my banquet shift.....

Just curious if others on this board pass on their reunions or go? Rob

ugh. no. I have nothing in common with these people.

I wouldn't mind seeing my best friend from high school, but she lives only 15 minutes away from any of these events and she refuses to go, thinks they are stupid. She keeps in touch with the few people she wishes to keep in touch with, and she was popular. So if she's not going to go, why in the world would *I* drive 8 hours to attend one of these things?

I had such an unpleasant experience the last time there was a major reunion, and I didn't even attend yet the long reach of email enabled someone to "discover" me and dump news that I didn't want to know.

again, ugh.

no
    Trees don't grow on money

Never, and I live in the same town I grew up in, so logistics are not an issue. Revisit high school/adolescence? No thanks, once was plenty!

I thought about going to the 40th but it would involve a trip to Alaska and was not worth the expense. So many have moved from Alaska in those years that only the few who could travel might make it.

I've gone to 3 of the 7 that occurred. I often lived too far, and a few times I had other plans that couldn't be changed. Last time our high school principle joined us and told stories about each person in attendance. It was fun hearing things through his viewpoint.

Maybe I'll go to the 50th but that's a ways off yet.

Not high school ever as I would know many there but I attend my university reunion every 5 years if someone else organizes the get-together.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I went to my 30th and may go to the 50th but probably not, just not interested. I left the 30th thinking that I could have found a better way to spend $50.00 and I got tired of seeing pictures of kids/grand kids and feigning interest. At the 25th, however, it was interesting to see how the 'cool' kids talked to the 'not cool' kids that they would have never spoken to in high school. My husband has never attended any of his.

My parents were both popular and high-school sweethearts. They live just over an hour from where they lived during high school and they love going to their reunions. I had a great high school experience but left early the morning after graduation to move to NM and haven't been back much and never for a reunion. Just not interested. I do keep up with HS friends through FB
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information