Thread: Back to School Silly - if childhood in the 70s relates to you, a must read

Back to School Silly - if childhood in the 70s relates to you, a must read

Someone sent this to me this morning... spot on for ol' momma MtnLaurel, b. 1970 & trying to navigate relatively late life motherhood among the type-A set. (And yes, you can be type-A about being laidback/organic/yoga/whatevs)

http://widelawns.blogspot.com/2014/0...t-has.html?m=1

As a child who was sent in to buy smokes for their mother & has memories of my mom smoking IN THE GROCERY STORE - gross!
    The 1970s description read like a documentary.

And now as a mom that felt like they had to go by a Janitorial Supply Store to complete the back to school shopping list, the 2014 Mom List is only slightly exaggerated for comedic effect.

What strange funny animals we are.

That is great! I couldn't stop laughing. So right-on (to use a vintage phrase). I could actually identify with the 70s first day, even though I wasn't QUITE fixing kids' lunches yet, I was just beyond having them made for me by my mom.

Yes, I definitely remember buying my mother cigarettes, and definitely went with my mother to Woolworths on many occasions for grilled cheese.

The ONLY thing missing from the 2014 version was the inevitable posting all of those first-day photos on Instagram and Facebook with cute, loving little Mom captions about how big the kids are getting (I just got one of those in my Facebook feeds today, as a matter of fact).

Thanks for posting!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yee-gads that was funny! Life as we know it these days is so dang pretentious! I was a child of the 70's as well. I don't think I ever had an actual lunch box (sniff); I brown paper-bagged it. And yes, the apple never got eaten.

I got a good laugh out of this. Thanks for posting it. Parenting sure has changed!

Funny because it's true! I'm forwarding it to others who lived through it all ..

So accurate! At least for the past.
    I'm sure glad we homeschool - no back to school at our house.

Oh yes. My mom didn't smoke, but my dad used to send us to pick up cigarettes for him all the time.
    My grandma made us all ponchos.

Thread Information